Where is the ICP and PCM? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Where is the ICP and PCM?

Heard my problem could be my ICP or PCM but am not familiar enough with my truck to even know where they are? Can anyone really explain in detail where they are or show me a pic of where they are at? I've heard they can be removed and cleaned and may make a big differnece. My truck starts great and seems to run good but blows constant white smoke and when I give it like 1500 or more rpms at an idle it just blows white smoke steady all over. The rpms stay constant at an idle but it seems to sound a little rough once in awhile as it sits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Where is the ICP and PCM?

What does the smoke smell like, are you losing coolant at all?

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:52 AM
PSN Local

it doesnt sound like an ICP or PCM problem, but the ICP sensor is on the driver's side cylinder head up front near the loop bracket lifting point. it is maybe the diameter if a half dollar and usually requires a crows foot to take the sensor off.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Pre-K

Here's a pic of the ICP sensor.

Can someone identify this? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

idk about the PCM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 AM
PSN Veteran

PCM is behind the ebrake...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 AM
PSN Veteran

PCM is behind the ebrake, but removed through the engine compartment with the inner fenderwell partially removed and flexed out of the way. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:51 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokinSince97 View Post
Heard my problem could be my ICP or PCM but am not familiar enough with my truck to even know where they are? Can anyone really explain in detail where they are or show me a pic of where they are at? I've heard they can be removed and cleaned and may make a big differnece. My truck starts great and seems to run good but blows constant white smoke and when I give it like 1500 or more rpms at an idle it just blows white smoke steady all over. The rpms stay constant at an idle but it seems to sound a little rough once in awhile as it sits.
Are you sure it's not a blown turbo?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Not sure it could be anything. Turbo seems fine from the looks of it and it seems to work when im driving. I dont seem to be losing coolant at all i think the exhaust pretty much just smells like diesel. But then again ive only had this truck a couple of months and havent even really had it out of the road yet because of the need for an oil pan just been replacing a few parts and driving it around in my field to test them? I just put brand new glow plugs and CPS in the truck I heard both of them could be the cause of smoke but now im just clueless idk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

Excessive white smoke is normally un-burnt fuel. Any idea what the compression is on the motor? Could be an injector issue. You need to get a scanner on it, there's a possibility its an IPR over pressuring the injectors. Really need more info on whats going on to diagnose. Good luck

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah i havent ran any tests not really sure how to and do not have proper equipment. will any regular auto mechanic be able to run these tests or do I need to take it to someone who specializes in diesels? Id rather not go broke getting the tests ran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode