clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
SJD

clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder?

a few weeks ago i was waiting at a light with my 97 in 2nd gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. i took my foot off the brake and the truck started to roll forward, which wouldn't have been weird only it was going forward UP hill.
did some experimenting, when left in gear at a light or stop sign while holding the clutch pedal down, after about 10 seconds the clutch will start to engauge with the pedal to the floor. clutch never fully engauges, just slips enough to move the truck a little. and when this happens the pedal gets stuck about half way down and I have to pull it the rest of the way up with my foot.
my question is: is this the clutch master cylinder letting fluid bypass internally somewhere? or is it the clutch slave cylinder going bad?
would i just be better off replacing both of them?

thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM
PSN Local

Re: clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder?

I had a issue with my pedal sticking like that when my throwout bearing was unlubricated.

Do you have a factory clutch and hydraulics?

sounds like you should try bleeding the system and flushing some fresh DOT 3 through there.

Also, what is the condition of you clutch pivot arm with that little white plastic bushing? also, while down there wiggle around the pedal assembly, and check out your pedal box bushings.

97 Single Cab F250 4x4 5 speed

Swapped D-60
Locked front and rear
160 sticks
Wildman Tunes
T500 HPOP
OFE clutch
Linex rockers
35" Toyo M/Ts
and a bunch more...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM
BrokeAss

Everything he said.
Start externally with a fluid flush and bleed the system. Check up under the dash around the pedals for excess movement and if it still persists I would say stuck throwout or pilot.
I wouldn't say it's a slave or master losing pressure, if it was then the pressure wouldn't come back after you tipped the pedal back up again. Follow?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

Had a similar problem on my dad's 94. It was bushing! There are some good write ups on oil burners I think about eliminating the bushings and installing an adjustable heim joint. Also through alot of wear the slave on his the plastic lip that the snap ring sits in to hold the slave to the firewall wore out and let the slave move before it actually engaged. So its no fixed mounted mounted from the outside with an adjustable heim joint. Even the previous owner (bought it new) drove it again and says the pedal hasn't had that good of a feel ever!

Bottom line, get under the dash and figure out where its loose. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I can get you pics of the mods I did on his if you would like. Good luck!

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM
BrokeAss

Just going to correct you read quick to prevent confusion, the master is on the firewall, same as brakes, slave is under the truck.
But I do agree, it is probably a bushing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
SJD

sounds like everything is pointing toward the throwout bearing.
friday i'm doing a lot of work to it and i will be checking it out then.
thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode