bad fuel mileage help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Angry bad fuel mileage help

ok so ive searched like crazy and i think i know the answer but i dont want to believe it i guess. here goes my 96 has about 230k on it ive owned it for a year its stock except for straight pipe and 6637 air filter. i have always gotten between 320 and 340 miles to a tank rear tank. a couple months ago i had a couple injectors start acting up (miss on start up cleared up when warmed up). i replaced all the injectors with a set i took out of my running 97 that has 90k on it i put all new orings from ford on it while diong them. now it runs smooth and seems to run really good but my mileage is about 240 on a tank of fuel and it smokes on startup a little so what gives, are those injectors no good, it has no codes and passes contribution test. all glow plugs and harnesses are new also and compression is no lower than 375 on any cyl. help i want my good mileage back.

anybody want a cheap dana 60 front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: bad fuel mileage help

Have you changed the fuel filter napa or wix filters a junk the fuz comes off and goes into Fuel Pressure Regulator Screen Ford filters only any black junk in the filter houseing may have to clean out the screen with a qtip it is on the right side inside the filter houseing (hard to see) if you remove the bolts that hold it in place they are different in size and keep a eye on the o-rings if this plugs fuel milage goes down hill.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge Insight CTS-Expandable Pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Delo ELC-coolant Filter
pulling 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp 4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
EGT,Boost,Trans
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 AM

4wd? Didn't happen to leave your lugs locked did you?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Simple is best

I would run a good additive like Stanadyne or Schaeffers in a high concentration and drive it like 'ya stole it for about 100 miles. If you can do a stretch of highway with a steep climb so that you can really pressurize them with that high concentration of cleaner, you just might smooth out the plunger action. I've seen a couple guys have some good luck with that.

97 HD Supercab LB 4x4. E4OD w/"mini shift kit" & Schaeffers synthetic, Tru Cool cooler, 4:10's, 33's on Weld Typhoon wheels, Gauges, Swamps stage 1's, Swamps IDM, TS 6 pos chip with Swamps tunes, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 4" exhaust (had to keep cat). Weather Guard toolbox, GPS, Billet grill.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i took all the fuel reg stuff apart and cleaned everything when i did injectors also new filter , it was spotless before injectors and spotless now still. ill have to look into some sort of cleaner and see where that gets me. hubs unlocked by the way lol. just really makes me nuts cause it really runs good but mileage sucks compared to before.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Just another thing to try: Try removing and cleaning the EBP sensor tube. Don't forget about the little bit that is still attached to the sensor. It all can get clogged with soot. It doesn't cost anything and is fairly simple to do. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:47 PM
PSN Newb

did you ever figure out what was causeing your bad fuel mileage
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM
PSN Veteran

How big of a tank do you have. I can barely get 220 miles to my front tank, which is about 17mpg's.

Never mInd that.

1997 F350 CCLB 4x4 - Stage #1's, Dp-Tuner F5, Swamps IDM, FPR shim, SD Intake mods, AFE intake, Gauges......

1998 Ram 3500 QCDRW 4x4 - p24v, Billet s464/83/90, ATS Manifold, TunnelRam, 6x.013's, AFE Intake, BD Intercooler, Gauges........
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

still dealing with the crappy milleage and still bothered by it also. i have done everything mentioned above and have gotten no results from it. not sure at all where to go from here. it runs so smooth and good that i find it hard to believe it could be injectors but since they are not new its the only thing that might be left to do. ill give it a couple more weeks running injector cleaner then if it still sucks i guess ill just buy a set of injectors cause for the amount of fuel im going through they will pay for themselves. still open to suggestions though.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 AM
PSN Local

Let me know what you find i drove to NY and back and it was 248 miles i burned 24.85 gallons in the process! thats 14MPG!! i only have 31" MTs on it so im stumped used to get almost 20 highway! maybe its the hills?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode