my truck is acting differently all of a sudden? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
StRoKeN LOL!

my truck is acting differently all of a sudden?

ok so i noticed like a week ago that everytime i start it no longer makes that sound like the truck is "sucking in air" a few seconds after its started, but now it does it while im driving it sounds like an exhaust brake actually an it acts like one too, because it does kinda slow the truck down if i let off the pedal, it seems every time i let off the pedal it makes that noise while im driving, but if im going at a steady pace down the road an keep my foot of the pedal it wont do it but as soon as i let off it kicks in, an it also wont do it if im in cruise, any thoughts?? 96 f250 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
ate lug

Re: my truck is acting differently all of a sudden?

Sounds like problems with your EBPV. Does it stop happening once it is up to normal operating temperatures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
StRoKeN LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Sounds like problems with your EBPV. Does it stop happening once it is up to normal operating temperatures?
sometimes, it seems to only do it if its really cold out, how hard is this to fix? is it ok to leave it alone or will it do more damage?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM
PSN Veteran

If it only does it when it's cold out, it's more likey normal (especially seeing where you're from). One thing you can try id cleaning out the EBP sensor tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold (front part) up under the alternator to the sensor by the HPOP reservoir. It removes and snakes out fairly easily. It can get clogged with soot. You can clean it with some carb cleaner and some wire rope checked in a variable speed drill (sort of like a plumbing snake). See if the little bit left attached to the sensor is clogged too. Cleaning it out solved the problem with mine when it was coming on when I though it shouldn't. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
PSN Local

i disconnected mine and runs with problems.

1996 F-250,Ext.cab,LB,4x4
stock tires

180K,6 pos chip,Open air filter, 3'' down pipe,fpr mod,ccv mod
4.10s gears!
Boost, Pryo and transmission gauges
sonnax shift improver kit
bronco tank mod
hayden cooler for transmission

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Headwind Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
If it only does it when it's cold out, it's more likey normal (especially seeing where you're from). One thing you can try id cleaning out the EBP sensor tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold (front part) up under the alternator to the sensor by the HPOP reservoir. It removes and snakes out fairly easily. It can get clogged with soot. You can clean it with some carb cleaner and some wire rope checked in a variable speed drill (sort of like a plumbing snake). See if the little bit left attached to the sensor is clogged too. Cleaning it out solved the problem with mine when it was coming on when I though it shouldn't. Cheers!

There's a new video in the SD section on how to.
How to: Clean EBPS to gain lost MPGs (Video) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I had very similar symptoms. Cleaned the EBP sensor and tube and no more problems. BTW, even if the EBPV is disconnected, the sensor needs to be clean.

Lots of discussion on why you need to clean it here:
Why the EBPS/EBPV tube needs to be cleaned - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
PSN Newb

i disconnected mine and wired it up to a switch so i can use it as an exhaust break and it runs fine
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 AM
PSN Veteran

hendricksbus,

What kind of problems? Did you just diconnect the wiring for the EBPV solenoid, or the EBP sensor, or both? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Headwind Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjul1128 View Post
i disconnected mine and wired it up to a switch so i can use it as an exhaust break and it runs fine
Still gotta keep the sensor clean. From Matt at Gearhead Auto:

The EBP sensor does 3 main things.

1. Manages the warm up valve position via commanded backpressure.
2. Adds line pressure with drive pressure (to make more uniform shifts under varying loads). This is indirectly done via adding calculated torque which is multiplied by the shift and non shift slopes.
3. In stock-type tuning, limits fuel similar to the fuel limit via the map sensor.

If the sensor isn't working right, your truck is going to run like crap, unless you are running tunes and they tell the pcm to ignore it.

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode