"real" oil pressure gauge - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

"real" oil pressure gauge

So last night I tried the real oil pressure gauge trick. I put a sending unit in place of the pressure switch and put a jumper on the back of the cluster for the oil pressure gauge. It works, not much movement on the gauge but instead of knowing you lost oil pressure when it gets low enough to turn the switch off at least now if it starts to drop you will see it happening and be able to hopefully stop before any damage is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: "real" oil pressure gauge

I wonder how your pcm will like that, it looks for an on or off from that sender.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
PSN Local

It will stop running before you damage anything without oil.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1216 View Post
It will stop running before you damage anything without oil.
Yea I knew that, but I was just curious. Wonder why Ford didn't make it an actual gauge in the first place.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 PM
PSN Veteran

$$

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250towrig View Post
Yea I knew that, but I was just curious. Wonder why Ford didn't make it an actual gauge in the first place.
You won't find a stock vehicle out there with a actuall oil pressure guage. It just isn't Ford, and as was said it is all about the $$$$$. That along with 99% of the vehicle owners out there wouldn't know what a real oil pressure guage was for.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 PM
PSN Veteran

The PCM won't care since it only sees the Engine Oil Temp (EOT) from the low pressure soil side of things. The gauge/instrument cluster board is the only thing the switch connects to. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 AM
PSN Veteran

My gauge 'switch' used to act goofy so I checked the oil pressure at the reservoir and it was just fine. I did this mod and like it. Depending on the rpm and temp the gauge will show readings from the N to the L in NORMAL ( on N at hot/idle and around L at cold/idle) and usually sits between the R and M above 1500. Even though its not scaled, it now provides a pressure reading-- so like the OP said, its easier to know if something starts to go wrong.

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
You won't find a stock vehicle out there with a actuall oil pressure guage. It just isn't Ford, and as was said it is all about the $$$$$. That along with 99% of the vehicle owners out there wouldn't know what a real oil pressure guage was for.
My 95 Trans am had one in the factory cluster that swung with pressure. It was nice because sometimes my coolant temp didnt work so I went by oil pressure, I knew the motor was warm once it dropped to lower PSI at idle.

back on topic: OP, do you have a part number you used for the oil pressure sensor? I am interested in doing this mod as well.

97 Single Cab F250 4x4 5 speed

Swapped D-60
Locked front and rear
160 sticks
Wildman Tunes
T500 HPOP
OFE clutch
Linex rockers
35" Toyo M/Ts
and a bunch more...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Sending unit out of a Ford with a 400 in it. I used a 80 bronco. You need to take the 20 ohm resistor out and replace it with a jumper on the back of the cluster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode