HELP, broke down 95 powerstroke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation HELP, broke down 95 powerstroke

Hi everyone new member to the site out of the cincinnati area. I have a 95 powerstroke that I bought from the dealer used with 248k on it. supposed to have a remanufactured motor in it. Most of the sensors are new in it. has new cps, new turbo, used hpop off good running truck, used injectors off good running truck, new fuel pump, cleaned out fuel bowl, new valve cover gasket and pig tails, new ipr, replaced idm with known good idm, ebpv replaced through stealership, has aftermarket full exhuast into 6" stack, 6position chip on it. I bought this truck and it quit running on the way home the dealer put new fuel pump in it and still didnt run. Then towed to ford which replaced the ebpv and told me had a bad hpop. replaced with good used one and it started and ran. had lack of power fell on its face under throttle lots of black smoke with chip turned to lowest setting. put new injectors in it and ran better with no smoke. would run smoothe then run rough and idle would shift up and down by feww hundred rpm. lack of power over half throttle usually but would occasionally have power after cruising on highway if you got on it. allways fell on its face like it had a bad missfire after you let off the gas then though. it started starting and diend when it was cold and then would start back up and not die. then i had it idleing and start to run very rough and get worse and worse till it died and would not restart. crank and would get diesel smell and smoke out exhuast and would kick but not fire. when you let it sit for a couple days it would take a LOT of cranking to get it to restart and then it seemed like when it reached operating tempature that it would start running rough again and die 10-15min now it wont start at all. please i need help and dont have money to keep throwing at it and no diagnostic tools. fuel bowl is still full, hpop is off 97 so drains down after a couple of days but after it dies is still full of oil. it is a 95 obd1 no check engine light came on during all of this and i know the ses light works. I am a fairly skilled mechanic with gas but lost on this diesel and now broke because of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Davey B

Re: HELP, broke down 95 powerstroke

You need to find someone with a scan gauge an just make sure there's no codes. To me it sounds like some sort of high pressure oil problem of some sort. Without a scan gauge or AE, its gonna be an expensive guessing game. We need to know where the high pressure oil is at, and fuel pressure, those are the 2 basic things. You said you replaced the ipr, double check an make sure the tin nut that holds it is tight. Pull the valve covers an make sure all the connections on the uvch are tight. You can also try cleaning the screen on the fpr as well. Those are a few simple things to check, but I still think your best bet is to get it hooked up to a scan gauge, that'll give us a lot better idea of where to luck. Good luck, hope it turns out to be something simple for you

95 CCLB- 238/100s, H2E, termy t500, wipe out pushrods, comp 910s, mbrp exhaust, bdp tunes, and 8" lift
99 ex cab - Rolled 3/10/10
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Davey B

I'd also try taking your chip off an see if that helps any

95 CCLB- 238/100s, H2E, termy t500, wipe out pushrods, comp 910s, mbrp exhaust, bdp tunes, and 8" lift
99 ex cab - Rolled 3/10/10

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks guys allready cleaned the screen, disconnected the chip, still no difference. last time it ran though the chip made no difference on it.no high idle or anything. maybe bad pcm?? can not find any one with a scan tool that will come to my house and it is going to be expensive to have this thing towed twice. nearest diesel shop is i think 20 miles from me besides the stealership which is 170 dollar diagnostic
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Old guy from the old days

Ted103184, email me - I am in Cincinnati and may be able to help.

[email protected]

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 PM
ate lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted103184 View Post
maybe bad pcm?? can not find any one with a scan tool that will come to my house and it is going to be expensive to have this thing towed twice.
Just an fyi, i replaced my PCM due to water damage, but it would still communicate with a scanner just fine. On mine, as soon as the PCM heated up it would short, and barely run at all (if i could get it started after it stalled), until i let it sit for a while. Once it cooled off it would start right back up again.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

hmm sounds like symptoms i had. plus it was acting very very eratic before it died i just remembered. ( i was pissed off at the time) but it would go from about to die to full power for a few seconds then would fall on its face and just about die then run great for a second then bad again til;l it finally died and would not start. I am wondering if it is the pcm now. How can i test to see if it is ok, shy of finding someone with a pcm i can put in to see if it starts?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM
ate lug

Thats what mine was doing, it would barely even idle and then BAM! full power. Totally random, altho it started getting more & more frequent as time went on (over about 3 weeks). As soon as i got it out of the truck i saw rust on the one side of the PCM's case. Popped the cover off and found corrosion on two of the SCRs on the main board. One new (reman) PCM later, and it runs like a champ.

I dont know how to test them. I thought if they were bad they wouldnt talk to a scanner, but apparently i was wrong.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 PM
PSN Veteran

Yeah, my 94's PCM went bad (IPR Power Circuit), but would still communicate with my scanner and run the KOEO tests. It just depends on what part went bad. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

Did I miss reading anyone saying to check the IDM? I know you said a known good one, but I wouldn't trust it! I have had a "known good" IDM that had corrosion on the inside that run fine some days and horrible the next. I spent a few days back and forth with Dave at Swamps when mine crapped out! It would still pass a buzz test, but was bad! Go figure I had 5 years at a stealership as a stroke tech and lord knows how much Dave has seen and neither of us had seen an IDM pass a buzz test and still be bad. Try swapping with someone!!!

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode