IPR/ICP Scratching Head - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
One Stroke @ a Time

IPR/ICP Scratching Head

Not sure where to start. 97 F350 I believe all mods are in my sig. Also have swamps HVHF IDM if its not listed, nothing major. Truck has almost 252k and has always been maintained. Although for the last 2 oil changes I haven't been able to get to 5k miles, somewhere between 3500 and 4500 it starts to run like hell and act like the IPR is bad. 2 oil changes ago I pulled the IPR cleaned and resealed and it has run fine for the last 4k. Then out of the blue it started doing the same crap, CEL on IPR codes etc. So this time I changed the oil and installed a new IPR back to running fairly well. Pressure stays between 550-585 @ idle calling for 16%. Driving it runs well consistant pressures at full throttle of 2500-2600psi calling for 35-38%, all seems well. Prior to the oil change and new IPR it would randomly go to default pressure readings (don't remember them now) I graphed everything for my test drive and while idling today and got a pressure range of 439.5-3274.6psi through the whole thing. All seems well. Buzz test sounds great, but KOEO and KOER both come back with exhaust back pressure which I'm used to and not worried about, but also P1298 which everyone says is a bad IPR. I'm confused. Harnesses are good, truck runs well. I have had the truck for almost 100k miles and never put injectors in it. Are they getting old and time to replace? I have been waiting for the right time to go larger and add a D66? Is now the time, or does anyone know of anything else that would cause random oil related issues. Also Fuel pressure is good, maintains 55-70psi from idle through WOT. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
One Stroke @ a Time

Re: IPR/ICP Scratching Head

Already a long post, but want to give a quick update. I did about a 50 mile drive, some around town and some highway with a few stops. No major issues, although it did "hicup" one time and the injection pressure dropped for about 1 sec to 4.5psi. I am still getting the codes p0470 and p1298 but as I said mostly running well. Also did a contribution test and everything passes. Still a little confused.

Any thoughts?

97 F350 CCLB 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM
PSN Local

My vote is for injectors...if you were already planning to upgade anyway ....then do the Turbo after

95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
One Stroke @ a Time

I can't believe no one has any thoughts on this?

97 F350 CCLB 4x4

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:04 PM
ate lug

Is it throwing any other codes? You keep saying 1298 & IPR, but 1298 is IDM Fault. However, the truck with throw that code all the time if it has a modded IDM. P0470 is exhaust back pressure sensor, which if its failing, could do weird things.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
One Stroke @ a Time

Can't get any consistant codes, part of what is so frustrating, other than the P0470 which has been there for 1-2 years. I think I'm going to swap CPS's today with a spare I have and see if it changes anything. It doesn't now, and hasn't consistantly thrown IDM codes, that was a 1 time deal. Its a really odd surge and throws the the IPR readings back to factory defaults when it does it. I'm wondering if I have a HPO leak that is intermitant. When it does act up I always get the ICP higher or lower than desired code (can't remember the # right now) Any thoughts?

97 F350 CCLB 4x4

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Busted Knuckles

Try unkooking the ICP sensor and see if the truck runs any differently. Also, if you have access to a 5000 psi gauge try putting it pulling an oil rail plug and threading it in there to see if your pressures match what your scanner is giving you. You might have a weak pump if you just changed your IPR.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 04:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyder7.3 View Post
Pressure stays between 550-585 @ idle calling for 16%. Driving it runs well consistant pressures at full throttle of 2500-2600psi calling for 35-38%, all seems well.
Does it do this random act of unkindness if you remove the chip?

As an observation, the idle pressure seems low. Perhaps my tunes call for this pressure but mine idles always at 690-700psi @ 10-11%. Can't explain the randomness of your issues, but checking for hp oil system leakdown may be necessary to rule it out.

Something to try would be to pull the VCs, unplug the injector power and crank the motor. This will build hpo pressure and as its cranking look for oil bubbling around the base of the injector (top oring) and coming out the inj oil spout (poppet valve seal).

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
One Stroke @ a Time

OK, finally broke down and cleaned the EBPV tube, pressures dropped to about 24psi? anyone else know what their normal range is? Passed the KOER test for the first time in a couple years, but in the buzz test and KOEO it gave 1298? Maybe this is because of swamps IDM? Hasn't thrown it in the past year or so since its been in.

Went to drive it, have never heard the EBPV cut on before during the KOER test before and wanted to see if there was a noticable difference. Put it in R to back out and it went crazy again. Luckily I was already running a data stream. The injection pressure went crazy while it was running like SH*T! Jumped to 3650psi stayed there for 20-30 seconds continuing to run like hell, then dropped back to about 600 where it will normally run and it smoothed right back out. Of course the ICP excessive code came out of the CEL. Have tried unplugging the ICP and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Think its possible that its a bad IPR? Any thoughts would be great. Supposed to have a new set of Baby swamps and a re-burn in the next week or so, really don't want to put them in and still have the same problems.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

97 F350 CCLB 4x4

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
One Stroke @ a Time

OK this could get long. Sorry! Here we go its a good thing that everything I have that could crush this truck is sitting on Dad's farm and not at my house! Still going crazy! This time it did it for a few minutes and gave me a chance to play with it. While it was acting crazy I could clear the codes and it would go back to a smooth idle for 5 seconds or so. I did this a few times and then cut it off. I went ahead and pulled the chip out since I need to ship it to Dave tomorrow anyway. Started it back and right back to the crazy idle with pressures up to 3700psi, I then unplugged the ICP and cleared the codes and the idle smoothed out again. Let it run for a while and it seemed to do fine. Cut it off and re-installed the park brake and plastics. Decided just for giggles to plug the ICP back in and run it. Started and idled fine. Decided to go for a drive and see. Drove 15-20 miles and it never even hickuped. But the volt gauge was reading low, scrolled down on the data stream and I'm only getting 11.56 volts!! @#(@#*$&@#)*$ and any other cussing you want to put in there! So I'm going to hopefully get the alternator replaced under warranty in the morning since its not charging! Then hopefully I can proceed with my RSK install and rear swap tomorrow as planned.

I will let you know if it does anything else funny tomorrow, but as of the drive tonight all seemed well except the alternator crappin out! Maybe it's a problem with my chip... or maybe the alternator was sending a really screwed up pulse through the computer and screwing with it?

Again any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also I'm getting a mechanical gauge monday to check the actual HPOP pressures and make sure its not a pump issue, but I'm not leaning that way, it maintains 2800 psi at WOT from a stop to 100. If it is injector orings I will find out next week when I put the new injectors in.

Thanks again!

97 F350 CCLB 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode