rear brake pressure - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

rear brake pressure

is there a pressure regulator that regulates the pressure applied to the front and rear breaks.
my rear breaks are getting more pressure then the front it feels like, sometimes loocking the rears up in the morning when the road is wet.

97 7.3l cclb 6" lift on 35s
stage 1's
idp fuel
swamps tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: rear brake pressure

There is the RABS valve on the frame rail under the driver's side. Is your ABS light illuminated? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
STILL LEARNING

Pull your drums. I would say leaky wheel cyl or axle seal leaking

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
There is the RABS valve on the frame rail under the driver's side. Is your ABS light illuminated? Cheers!
the abs light isn't lit up

97 7.3l cclb 6" lift on 35s
stage 1's
idp fuel
swamps tunes
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 AM
My other twin turbo...

I can offer my understanding, I may be wrong... The surface area of the pistons in your master cylinder have a correlation with the surface area of the wheel cylinders. There are two pistons inside a common bore in the master, one sends fluid to the front section, one to the rear. They are almost always the same diameter as each other. Engineers determine the amount of pressure differential they want supplied between the front and rear friction surfaces, which will vary depending on type of rear brake. Drums don't require as much pressure do to mechanical advantage inherent in their design. You will notice the large pistons that are on your front calipers vs the small cylinders inside your drum assembly. The differential valve often mentioned in brake circuits only senses when there is a change of fluid pressure between the front and rear circuit, it does not control the pressure difference. With different sized pistons at the wheels, the same pressure applied will result in different amounts of clamping force. I have had a few trucks with heavy duty drums in the rear, and grabbing hard for the first few applications in the morning or after parking for a day, are usually exacerbated by damp air causing the drum surface to oxidize slightly, and therefore increase their coefficient of friction. As mentioned in an earlier post, shoe contamination can also have a similar effect. I found that during tire rotations I would check for brake or axle seal leaks and adjust my shoes on the rear a little bit tighter than recommended clearance helped a little. I just got used to the first couple grabs in the morning and they were fine the rest of the day. Now to see if anyone concurs with me or calls me a fool... You can enjoy guessing who may have your answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode