97 PSD front driveline issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

97 PSD front driveline issue

Purchased a 97 F350 CC, PSD. Took it to my mechanic to diagnose the clank in 4x4 the PO told me out. Well the ball and socket deal that the ujoints hook into on the front driveline is fubared (mech got under and said "OH ****) and I got scared. Anyway, I need this piece not sure of the name (CV joint comes to mind...) and need help finding out where I can get one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 AM
PSN Local

Re: 97 PSD front driveline issue

the Yoke?

97 Single Cab F250 4x4 5 speed

Swapped D-60
Locked front and rear
160 sticks
Wildman Tunes
T500 HPOP
OFE clutch
Linex rockers
35" Toyo M/Ts
and a bunch more...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No its not that. Its the double cardan joint, I am waiting on my mech to source parts as he can find them good from junkyards, and if that isn't very cheap I'm just gonna buy a brand new one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM
ate lug

You can find the double cardan in alot of fords at the junkyard. There is also a rebuild kit you can get from most autoparts stores to fix it if its worn out. Ive done it a few times now on my trail rig; its really not all that bad to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If I understand correctly it would be a ball and socket/spring type setup that comes in the rebuild kit? What would I need to do it? I did ujoints on my 84 Ford F250 with just a couple sockets and a vise. This particular style looks like a sumbitch to get after. Everywhere I've read said that it sucks to replace.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
ate lug

Yeah, thats it. Youve got to remove both ujoints to do it, and then it will pretty much come apart in your hand. Think of the dshaft as 3 pieces- the shaft, the cardan, and a yoke. The yoke connects ujoint #1 to the cardan, and ujoint #2 connects the cardan to the shaft. The yoke passes thru the middle of the cardan, and pivots on that center ball, which is installed on a stud sticking out of the end of the shaft.

Soo.....remove both ujoints, and it will all come apart. install spring inside small machined stud on end of shaft. then install new center ball, and retaining seal. Then, IIRC, you have to install ujoint #2 first, i always forget which one goes first.

In this pic you see a stripped shaft from the last time i did this. That stud is where the spring & center ball go. Spring goes inside the stud, ball goes over top. There is a ring, i wanna say 1/2" tall by maybe 3/32" thick, that fits over that small step (tap in place with hammer), and that is what holds the ball in place. Then you install the seal over top of that ring. I dont remember if the rebuild kit comes with the ring or not, i just reused the ring from the j-yard shaft since i lost mine when the shaft exploded.

You dont need any special tools to do the job, altho i use a balljoint tool to press ujoints in/out instead of a vice. Same principle though.

Hopefully i explained that clearly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1116110941.jpg (54.3 KB, 32 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM
ate lug

Sorry, the seal goes on the yoke end. its been a long day

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM
STILL LEARNING

Anyone have a write up on how do do this. reptillikus, you are the 1st person I heard say it is an easy job. Everyone else says they are Super PITA

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
Anyone have a write up on how do do this. reptillikus, you are the 1st person I heard say it is an easy job. Everyone else says they are Super PITA
Yeah +1.

My mech can get a used driveline for about $150. I found rebuild kits, and I called a drive line shop they wanted $120-$170 to rebuild mine. If its simple I'll just rebuild it my self.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 AM
ate lug

Around here, you can get used driveshafts at junkyards all day for under $75. I think that last double cardan shaft i got only cost me $40.

Do any of you have the Helm Ford Service Manuals? The procedure is laid out in both my 88 & 96 books.

I think the worst part about the job, is that by the time it gets done, everything is so old its all corroded/rusted together, and nothing wants to come apart. Its like taking the spindle off your D50/60- the first time its a major PITA cuz its rusted in place, but the second time it sliips right off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode