cam sensor issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

cam sensor issues

i know there is alot of info of this floating around but ive put 3 cam sensors in my truck in the last month its starting to irritate me i tried 2 of the black ones from advanced they last about a week and still run rough put on of the twenty dollar ones from ford truck ran better than it ever did for about 2 weeks now that one is crapping out on me any advise would be appriciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 AM
PSN Local

Re: cam sensor issues

had a similar issue a few years back when mine went... changed it and it was randomly still acting the same. one day i was working on the truck and pulled the battery cables off for a hour while i worked on it and the problems cleared out. Must have reset the computer. been running good for a few years now until recently... time for a new one
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Busted Knuckles

Look at the front of the sensor, is it being rubbed anywhere? If it is you have bigger problems than you think.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ill have to try the battery thing im not 100 % sure its not rubbing but i dont think so ill have to look at an old on and what is the difference from the 97 cps to mine a 96 i know they are different part numbers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

sensor is not rubbing. put one in from advance to get by till the ford one comes in and truck runs like crap. i know the cam sensors are a problem in these trucks but i didn't know it was this bad.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM
ate lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDEng View Post
Look at the front of the sensor, is it being rubbed anywhere? If it is you have bigger problems than you think.
Tell me more about this. Youre thinking the cam gear is coming off the cam, right? What would the typical symptoms of this be? Im beginning to wonder if this is my problem.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
PSN Veteran

check your pigtail to the sensor amybe a bad spot in the wire have you tried moving it around while it is runnining> ( be carefill)

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Busted Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Tell me more about this. Youre thinking the cam gear is coming off the cam, right? What would the typical symptoms of this be? Im beginning to wonder if this is my problem.
The cam has a helical cut on it for the cam gear to go on. At higher RPMs the gear can walk itself off of the cam and will rub the end of the sensor and ruin it. You can fix this by pulling the motor and front cover off and tack welding the gear to the cam. I'm dealing with this right now.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:53 PM
PSN Veteran

I'm not sure if tack welding the gear to the cam will solve that problem. That would seem (to me anyway) to indicate a cam thrust bearing problem. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

tried to order a pigtail and shim kit from ford and goo that route but the guy gave me the light gray f7tz12k073b sensor to try first

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode