cooling problem need help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

cooling problem need help

this is my first time posting here and new to diesels just purchased a 95 f350 powerstroke obviouosly.

so my problem is i thought my truck was running hot but my gauge would never move also the fan runs the second i start the truck. so i decided to give the thermostat a shot. and i did and it changed nothing. so just to fix the gauge and make sure it was acually running hot i took a temp sending unit out of my 97 powerstroke parts truck and that fixed the gauge problem and sure enough its running hot. i tryed squeezing the top radiator hose and im almost positive theres nothing running through it. the water pump is brand new on the truck and the heat works perfectly inside. so if anyone can chime in and tell me what to try or replace id appreciate it thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM
matt

Re: cooling problem need help

did you check the amount of erosion on the front cover when you replaced the pump? If there is bad erosion the pump will cavitate.

4'' exhaust, egr delete, upgraded oil cooler, arp studs,50mm BOV, volant CAI, 66/73/.91 turbo, 205/100 injectors, crossover fuel line, airdog II, sct by TSD & ID, high idle mod, nitrous express with .092 jet, 26 GPH water/meth, ats stage 3 tranny, king Ranch front and rear captins chairs, and of course kicker sound system
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

the problem is i didnt replace the pump the previous owner did right before i bought it a few months ago. it seems to be installed correctly no leaks new bolts gasket but you never know and i really didnt want to take it off unless i had to

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Hmmm, IIRC, there are thermostats with different "reach", some of which don't properly close the bypass when they open for the radiator (or vice-versa). I wonder if your apparent coolant circulation problem could be due to that. I dunno just what thermostat goes with what water pump, but esp. since both were replaced, it's something to research.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

the thermostat also came into mind when i was spending my afternoon trying to figure out my problem so i decided to run it without any thermostat at all and see if the top radiatior hose got any fluid and still nothing.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Can't say for sure, but I can just imagine you won't get any coolant in the top hose without a thermostat. Remember, like most new vehicles, the thermostat is a "double-throw" device; as the passage for the radiator opens, the bypass closes. With no thermostat installed, BOTH passages are open, and the coolant is probably mostly going through the bypass. Dunno for sure about our trucks, but I know on other vehicles, that can cause an overheat.

Is the thermostat installed now?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

yes i only ran it for a minute without the thermostat to see if worked then replaced it. could the reason the fan runs constantly have something to do with the coolant not flowing through the radiator

95 f350,5 speed, dually 2wd, 11ft utility body, 5 inch straight pipe no cat or muff 6in tip, napa 6637 filter,Ccv mod, ebpv delete pedistal, edge evo programmer, pyro,boost,engine temp,oil pressure gauges

soon to come stealth 1.1, intercooler, efuel
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM
PSN Veteran

The fan clutch will never completely disengage. It just runs more slowly when it's cooler. Not that I'd actually try it, but at cold start, you could probably overcome the clutch and stop the fan with a stick, whereas the clutch would engage it much more powerfully as it warms up.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

im gonna take your word on that one and not try the stick method. so basically what your saying is untill it gets to the 205 degrees which is what this thermostat is it bypasses the radiator then at 205 it starts flowing through the radiator?

95 f350,5 speed, dually 2wd, 11ft utility body, 5 inch straight pipe no cat or muff 6in tip, napa 6637 filter,Ccv mod, ebpv delete pedistal, edge evo programmer, pyro,boost,engine temp,oil pressure gauges

soon to come stealth 1.1, intercooler, efuel
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 AM
PSN Veteran

Yes, IF the thermostat is the right one, that's how it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode