Need Help! New GPR now have battery drain - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Need Help! New GPR now have battery drain

Hi Guys any help would be great. I have 96 7.3. I changed the Glow Plug Relay over the weekend. Was having hard starting when cold. The old one was in bad shape corosion and signs of sparking arcing the main big post actually came off relay.
So replaced the Relay truck started right up. But now I have a Battery draw like the glow plugs are on all the time. The batterys keep going dead. I checked Alternator and tested good, as did the batteries. All the fuses test ok. The relay seems to cycle fine. Using a test light. The two big posts are hot on start up.. then the other side shuts off after a minute or so. The two little posts show power all the time while running. When I rehook up batteries I get a small spark from terminals which i did not get in the past. What would be the best route to start at??
Any help would be great
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 AM

Re: Need Help! New GPR now have battery drain

Sounds like the GPR is working correctly. Maybe since you were not pulling a draw from the batteries with the bad GPR the weak battery or 2 were hidden. Check the voltage before you turn the key on and then check voltage as the GP's are on for the full cycle. This will tell you if you have some info. Batteries are weak or some bad GP's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Factory replacement GPR or one from a parts house? You need to make sure that the relay is case-isolated (not grounded) like the factory relay (or like the Stancor, Sorensen MR99, NAPA GPR-109, etc). If it is not, the GPRs will not shut off. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will do that but I feel like I shorted something. The batteries and Alt test good. Shoud there be power to the both small terminals while running?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 AM
PSN Veteran

If you pull the control wires off of the relay you will find out that you only have voltage to one of them and not both. With them connected you will see voltage on both because the voltage is going through the coil in the relay and out to the post that will be grounded when the PCM sends the ground signal.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 AM
PSN Veteran

There will be 12V on both small wires when the relay is not closed (one is grounded by the PCM to energize the relay coil causing the main contacts to close). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That is correct when I take one of the small wires I only have power to the one small wire. I feel that there is a short from the sparking of the old GPR. Could I have burnt something out.. The fuses all seem check good. The GPR seems to be fine.
Thanks Guys
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Try starting the truck and running it for a minute or so. Then shut it off, disconnect either of the small terminals on the GPR, and start it up again (it should be warm enough to self-start). See if the voltmeter on the dash is now right-of-center. If it is, then the alternator and charging system are (most likely) fine, and this further suggests that you were sold a starter relay.

Also try removing both small terminals, and put an ohmmeter / continuity tester between each terminal (one at a time) and the metal mounting base. Both should show infinite resistance / no continuity. If either one shows continuity or some finite (or zero) resistance, then it's indeed the wrong kind of relay.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 AM

This is the one I use now. You can pick it up at a Western Snow Plow shop for about $12.00

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Hmm; I've read that the Western relay is not preferred by many, because it's supposedly made for short-term "on" times (like moving a plow blade), not for extended times like the (up to) two minutes our glow plugs can glow. But this ^^^^^ relay looks like one that, according to the mfr's web site, is made for continuous duty. And a Wisconsin company to boot .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode