Bed Tilt Help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Bed Tilt Help

I have a bad bed tilt. Where the bed meets the cab is level, but there is at least a two inch difference between the height of the left and right sides at the tailgate. Body bushings appear okay. Rear leaf spring bushings are cracked, but are identically worn on each side. I'm the second owner, but it does not appear the truck has ever been in an accident that would cause a bent frame.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks

1997 CCSB, 130K, LuK Clutch, Bean's Stage 1s, 3" DP to 4" exhaust, DIY Intake, TW 6 Pos Chip, ISSPRO Gauges, Banks IC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Bed Tilt Help

That's not tilted, that's twisted. There are two (or is it three?) cross-rails on the bottom of the bed (welded into the bed) that sit on the frame. I'm thinking that rail has rusted and/or collapsed in the back on the left side. Sticker on the tailgate suggests this truck, previous to its present sun-belt home, has a northern provenance (Sioux Falls SD?). There's this stuff we use up here called road salt, and.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

You are correct, sir -- it's twisted, and I bought it in Sioux Falls, SD. You should work as a CSI;-) I'm fortunate with respect to the rust -- there is normal surface rust on the frame, but very, very little on the under-body. Cross rails are in-tact and not crushed or rusted. Truck is in pretty good shape if you can ignore the twist -- only 120K miles. Any other ideas?

1997 CCSB, 130K, LuK Clutch, Bean's Stage 1s, 3" DP to 4" exhaust, DIY Intake, TW 6 Pos Chip, ISSPRO Gauges, Banks IC

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM
PSN Local

Have you measured the distance between the frame and bed? and frame/bed and ground? My truck sits the same way and took me a while to find the issue of 2 different rear springs in the truck. If the mesurment between the frame and bed are the same then you know its a frame/spring issue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks, I'll try that.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
PSN Newb

So what ended up being the problem
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 PM
STILL LEARNING

Body mounts. the rear passenger side LOVES to crush

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummel View Post
So what ended up being the problem
Sorry for the late reply. Zrock is probably right. I'm pretty sure that the left spring has sprung. I ran a string between the spring hanger bolts and measured from the string to the center of the spring's u-bolt plate. There is a 2" difference between the spring on the right and left.

I've been doing some research on the 99-05 B Code spring mod, but I can't figure out exactly what needs to be done in order to do it. From what I can gather, it requires some drilling. Can't figure-out if the drilling is required to enlarge the spring hanger holes, or if the frame needs to be redrilled to remount the spring hanger.

Any help is appreciated.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 AM
STILL LEARNING

You need to drill out the front hanger to match the SD spring.

IF I remember correctly, you also need to drill out the shack to match the SD spring as well.

I am still betting on a bad cab mount bushing

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks, Brad. It may be the bushing, but the springs are off by 2", so there is something suspect about that. It couldn't hurt to replace the suspect springs and mod for a better ride at the same time. It may fix the twist, but if it doesn't, at least I have a smooth riding, twisted truck. If it's a body bushing -- then screw it. That's in the "too hard to do box" right now.

Just so I don't get into this over my head. There is no drilling into the frame for the B-Code mod, right? Just enlarging holes in the mounting system (Front Spring Hanger and Rear Shackle) to fit larger spring eye bushings of the B-Code springs?

Also, I've seen recommendations to get OEM springs only, vice aftermarket springs. Does that sound like good advice?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode