Diesel fuel leak, bottom of bell housing?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Diesel fuel leak, bottom of bell housing??

I fired up my truck this morning to warm it up. I have not been driving it lately, only once a month if that for the last 4 to 5 months.

I noticed diesel leaking from the bottom of the bell housing(under torque converter) onto the pavement, making a pretty good puddle. I climbed on top of the engine and the valley is dry. There is a little bit of diesel in the valve cover (towards middle of engine) on the drivers side that may be running to the back of the engine.

I think I found a leak on the side of the fuel bowl in the little sender unit thingy. I tightened this down, but not too tight as it is plastic and brass. It did not appear to leak after this, but I did not spend much time up there after that.

I wiped down the bottom of the bell housing and let if run for another five minutes before shutting it off. It still leaked, but did not seem to be as bad, possibly just residual, but maybe not.

Any other ideas on a leak that I should look for.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Bergy1

1997 F-350, Crew, 7.3, LB, Centurion package. Napa intake, MBRP exhaust, Built tranny, Stage 1.5 from Rosewood, T-500, 6 Pos chip from PHP, EBPV delete, gutted pedistal, Tranny Temp, Boost, & Pyro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Diesel fuel leak, bottom of bell housing??

clean the valley put baby powder in it and start it up this makes it easy to see where the fuel is coming from. check fuel pump weep hole and fuel lines ( there are 3 sort rubber lines on the fuel pump to the filter.)

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The valley is bone dry right now. It had a fuel line leak a year ago and I replaced all the fuel lines on the bowl and they are not leaking now. Is there any place for fuel to leak off the back of the engine? I can't think of anything back there??

I'm really suspicious of the lines coming of the driver side of the fuel bowl, the fittings with the screen and that stuff. If it is it's running down the top side lip of the driver side valve cover and off the back of the engine. I think I got it tight this morning, but won't be back there for another hour or two to look at it some more.

1997 F-350, Crew, 7.3, LB, Centurion package. Napa intake, MBRP exhaust, Built tranny, Stage 1.5 from Rosewood, T-500, 6 Pos chip from PHP, EBPV delete, gutted pedistal, Tranny Temp, Boost, & Pyro.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM
PSN Newb

check the supply line to the passenger side head. the o rings leak oftentimes.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Found my leak. What is this thing?? It is leaking between the brass and plastic. I need to replace it.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel photo.JPG (104.9 KB, 270 views)

Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
PSN Veteran

That is the Fuel Restriction Sensor (also called a vacuum switch by Ford). They are notorius for leaking. You can replace it (usually only available from Ford and pricey at $50 or so) or you can get a 1/8 NPT plug and just plug the opening. The sensor lights the Fuel Filter light on the dash and if you are good about changing your filters you can get by without it (most of us have already done this). Don't overtighten it as you can easily crack the regulator block (not cheap!!!). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank you Patrick and others that responded.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 AM
PSN Newb

I have been having the same problem as Bergy1 with fuel leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing. Mine will not leak with the truck running but when you shut it off you imediately hear a trickling sound like running water then fuel will start leaking. can someone help me with this? my valley is also dry as well!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
PSN Local

I also have the same problem as Bergy1. After I shut my truck off you could smell a distinct gas smell (see signature). The whole valley is a little oily so I finally traced it to that sensor and that is also where my fuel leak was coming from. I do believe I will go ahead and put the plug in it now.

1996 F-350 CCLB dually, 4.10, 235/85R-16, ZF5, Tymar intake, Alabama Flowmaster, Isspro gauges, TS chip, Tightwad Mod
Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Hope it's not a gas smell......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in