Another GPR related question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Another GPR related question

Greetings,
97 dually with 202,000 miles is what Iím working on, my first diesel.
Itís starting to get cold here in South East NM, I need a shot of ether to get it started in the morning, this may be battery related. Spins pretty fast at first but quickly slows down, thatís when I use the gas. New batteries are on the ďlistĒ. Starts fine the rest of the day.
After it starts(cold in the morning) the GPR cycles on and off about once per second, I can hear it clicking and verified it with voltmeter. Is this normal?
Truck idles smoothly after it starts. Blows a little blue smoke until it warms up. Seems to run nice and smooth except sometimes it will idle rough when I stop. Any ideas there?
A little about the truck as far as I know.
I bought it in June with 197k on it.
Owner said he had the oil changed just before I bought it. Only mods to the truck that I know of were cat delete and SMF.
What I have done to it,
3Ē down pipe into 4Ē straight out the back
Big round intake filter mod.
Changed the oil/filter about 200 miles ago. Rotella 15-40
New GPR, didnít help the cold starts.
New CPS
Rebuilt turbo
New fuel pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Another GPR related question

Stop using ether... You should never use that crap on a vehicle with glow plugs...

Are you saying the relay doesn't just stay on? It's turning on and off every other second?

Have you checked the color of the fuel in the fuel bowl? If oily, I would say possibly bad injector orings...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Right it's turning on and off every other second or so.
Fuel in the fuel bowl is not oily. Was in there yesterday unpluging the fuel heater.

That reminds me, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the bowl and the screen when I installed the fuel pump.

Last edited by 6869704x4; 10-30-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Adding to above post.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
ate lug

The relay shouldnt be clicking on/off, it stays on until the PCM tells it to turn off. So for starters id replace that, but id also ohm your glow plugs to make sure they are good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Left the battery charger on last night. Tried to start it this morning and it blew a bunch of white smoke but didn't start. I was checking the battery volts with my meter and they dropped pretty quick. Plugged in the block heater for a couple of hours and it started on the first try. The GPR didn't cycle like it does when it's cold. I'm getting new batteries this week, will let yall know if thats it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 PM
The Original

I bet its the Glow Plug system. Relay is probably fried.... we carry an upgrade kit for the truck.

[CENTER]1994 F350 4x4 5spd, 1995 F250 4x4 5spd, 1996 F250 4x2 auto, 1997 F350 4x4 auto, 1997 F250 4x2 auto
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Bushwacker

Send a message via AIM to chevyhurstolds84

This is interesting I was experiencing the same situation with my buddies 94' 7.3 IDI. It must be something simple because I know these systems are very different.

1996 DRW CCLB 2WD 5SPD 430k TOTALED
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Hurst/Olds 468 BBC e85 wheelies :)
1991 f150 RCSP 4.9 4x4 best beater in the world!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

More weirdness going on. Driving back and forth to work the last two days (64 miles round trip) the engine missed a few times after it warmed up. Iíve read about cheap CPSs, got mine at NAPA, and I wonder if thatís it. Can someone point me in the right direction to get a quality one? All I could find on the Ford site was a shim kit.
The GPR hasnít cycled after starting the last few times. Bought a couple of batteries on the way home from work and Iíll install them tomorrow.
A couple of things I forgot to ask the other day. When trying to start it cold there is smoke coming from the turbo area. Where is that happening at? It doesnít smoke from there after it starts.
I hooked up an Actron scanner and it says no communication. Lighter has power. Any other ideas?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM
ate lug

Get a CPS from Ford, they are cheap ($20-25).

It sounds like your new GPR is bad. Yours did exactly what mine did a couple weeks ago-cycle on/off (instead of just staying on), and then a couple days later it quit working alltogether. Where did you buy it, and it is a real GPR and not a starter relay? Also, does your Wait To Start light come on?

Your smoke is probably coming from a small exhaust leak. Have you checked all the fittings/clamps for tightness since you put the turbo back on?

Id get access to another code reader and check for communication, those Actron scanners are cheapys and dont always work right. On top of that, they wont report most of the diesel-related codes these trucks will run. My neighbors doesnt even report my IDM code for the tuned-up IDM, so how useful could it really be?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Get this truck on a scanner before you blow a month's paycheck diagnosing the problem... A real scanner, one that will read a powerstroke. AE would be ideal...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode