97 powerstroke takin its time. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 powerstroke takin its time.

I bought this truck a little over a week ago and have been working the bugs out of it. This is my first diesel powered truck so there's a lot of stuff I don't know. So here's my question... when I turn the key everything appears to be fine, no check engine light, the wait to start light comes on for a few seconds... It all seems good. When I crank her over it takes a good THREE seconds before she fires... Is this normal? I'm just kind of worried about what will happen when it gets cold out... My gp relay checks out fine... So its not that... Any ideas? Hey if its normal than just tell me to stfu, and we can all carry on forgetting I even asked... Sometimes I'm a bit anal... But she does run great! Can't complain about that... She just takes her time gettin out of bed. Oh BTW... It will do the same thing even when it been warmed up and then restarted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Re: 97 powerstroke takin its time.

stfu.....lol

When I was on the mechanical fuel pump mine would have to turn over a few times before cranking. I don't think you are experiencing anything abnormal.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
so many trees

its normal. sometimes even my 01 takes a bit to crank over

some stock truck from washington state

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Could be a worn starter...

My OBS starts right up every time unless it's under 30* outside... Then you have to expect a little crank time...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM
PSN Veteran

Normal

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Three or four TURNS (maybe one second) is normal. Three full SECONDS is NOT. Think about how long a second is.

Have you measured the resistance of the glow plugs themselves? Inspected the wiring to the valve covers?

Once it starts, does the voltmeter stay left-of-center for a minute or two, and then swing to the right?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Haven't messes with the glow plugs at all... But would the glow plugs being bad, still have an affect if it does the same thing when warm? And three seconds is a pretty long time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM
PSN Newb

1 second is more normal. could be as simple as weak batteries or starter or corroded connections or wires.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It turns over pretty fast and strong...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Freddie

Mine does that madpogue, once I start it the volt meter stays left of center for about a minute, what causes that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode