cold weather trans temps - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

cold weather trans temps

So I see posts about trans temps being too hot, but what is too cold? Today driving to work mine got up to 106 deg. Would that be considered too low? I have a big hayden cooler on the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
ate lug

Re: cold weather trans temps

Thats where mine runs, with probably the same size cooler. Im getting ready to put a thermostat on it to get it warmer, because i cant imagine how that can be good for it. IMO the fluid needs to be warm enough to evaporate off any moisture that might form in the trans, and i cant see 100 oil doing that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Are you guys running the trans cooler in the radiator? If you are, you would think it would get warmer than that. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Yes I am, I replaced the factory with a big hayden and kept the radiator in the loop.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

How far is work? Ten miles, 20 miles? I have driven 150 mile trips in the winter and only got to about 130* going up a pass...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
ate lug

My setup: Trans-> radiator-> aux filter-> aux cooler-> trans. Temperature reading comes from the test port on the side of the trans. I used to get it from my aux filter housing, and that reading was typically 20 cooler.

Dont forget, the trans fluid runs through the cold side of the radiator not the hot side, so its not seeing 200 coolant. it actually does cool the trans fluid more than you would think.

My trip to work is 1 mile in town, 16 on the freeway, 1 mile in town (18 total each way). Just last night it was 50, and i never got the trans over 112. It has always run cool (for years now), but i put a bigger cooler in when i tuned it up (this past spring) to keep the temps down while towing. But now that its cooler out its running borderline too cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I let the truck warm up this morning and then its a 15 min ride, back roads.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250towrig View Post
I let the truck warm up this morning and then its a 15 min ride, back roads.
I don't think that is enough to worry about...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

good to know, thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
PSN Local

Does every OBS route the trans lines through the radiator ? I have never noticed mine going through there .

97 F-350 PSD, 250 k miles, Intake , Downpipe , 4" exhaust , no cat, E.S. Body bushings , Glow Shift w triple pillar pod , Tony Tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, Beans Stage 1 injectors, Beans Brass Up Pipe Doughnuts, BTS Valve Body, S D Intercooler, Gutted EBPV, CCV Mod, B&W gn hitch, Recon clear cablights, & reverse bulbs , Door seal mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode