Sitting in Chehalis 1,000 Trails - UPDATE, Made it home! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
All Ford Guy

Red face Sitting in Chehalis 1,000 Trails - UPDATE, Made it home!

OK, first of all thanks for all the replies and offers to assist!!! Sounds like I am experiencing an issue some of you have already survived, THANK YOU for sharing your fixes to!
This is not an excuse for not posting sooner, but, yes, as someone posted, I did drive non-stop to get home while it was runnning!!!! Ran a few test in the shop and was beat, then had to run the oldest boy to Youth Group, then had to get to bed as I had to be at work this morning!

So, I did get the truck started Monday morning after a few tries and towed the trailer home without issue... no power either as I had pulled the chip! Something had definitely drained down as it ran choppy and had no throttle response for about 20-30 seconds of running.

After getting the trailer home, parked, and the truck into the shop I shut it down and... with minimal cranking it fired right up, three times. Go figure! Didn't try a fourth time as it seemed to be starting every time, though with a longer crank time than before.
Interestingly, after the truck idled about 15 minutes at the RV dumpsite closest to home, I believe some type of bleed down also occurred as the motor had a noticeable miss as boost came up as I accelerated back onto the freeway.

I let it sit a few hours, and with the EASE scanner recording I turned the key and after a short crank it fired right up. Repeated this a few more times and gave up on it doing the no-start thing again. While I was wanting to see if the HPO pressure was under 500 psi when I experienced a no-start, the truck wouldn't no-start!
Playback of the ICP and duty cycle showed that with the ignition on, the duty-cycle defaulted to 14%, when cranking the HPO quickly climbed and the motor started up. HPO shot up over 1,000 psi and settled back down to about 570-600 psi and duty cycle went up to about 45-50% before it settled down to 12-13%.

Worth noting again is that this truck normally starts after only a second or so of cranking, never had remotely extended cranking like it seems to now.
I believe that with hot oil and a heat soaked motor, my no start was probably from inadequate HPO to tell the PCM to activate the injectors as some suggested. Wish I could replicate the symptom with the scanner recording?

I will attempt to assemble a pressure tester as outlined by Kim lux to see if I can find a bank that is dropping oil pressure.
I am semi-focused on a bad o-ring. When I first installed my 130c injectors I discovered a cut o-ring and replaced it before continuing. Unfortunately I had several other injectors already in. Assuming it was a fluke I just replaced the one, but later heard some talk about the possibility of a bad batch of o-rings going out the major rebuilders...

I hope to pinpoint a cylinder or bank of cylinders before the 8 sets of O-rings I ordered arrive. Hate to go through a whole o-ring swap if it isn't the issue!

Thanks to all who replied or at least looked at my original post to see if they could help! Sorry for the ramble but I wanted to at least finish the story for those who offered me help!

TC

97 F350 CC LB 4x4, ZF-5, LUK, Off-Road. Factory Alcoas, Michelin LTX-M/S LT265/75-16, Bilsteins. Homegrown intake, 4" exhaust, LUK clutch, 130cc injectors, 99+ intercooler, homegrown CCV mod, homegrown electric fuel system, still sorting out tuning/chip burns.
2003 Tahoe 27' Travel Trailer, Prodigy brake controller.
1991 5.0 LX - Best 1/4: [email protected]
1989 Taurus SW (To be like Tom S!)
Link to my Intercooler/Fuel System Install page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
Re: Sitting in Chehalis 1,000 Trails - UPDATE, Made it home!

Tim you can also pull off one HPOP hose and cap it to compare results side to side.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Hey I am up in Snohomish if you need any help... Let me know.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
All Ford Guy

Thanks for the tip Tom. I was going to try to configure a hand pump that I could use to pressurize an individual rail and close a valve like a leakdown detector and see how well each bank holds up. According to Kim Lux' posting, a rail should hold 3,000 psi overnight, no problem.
The "problem" I found today at the hydraulic shop was that this little setup would cost me well over $150 to have made up at the Parker dealer. We have an Ag/Industrial place I will try tomorrow.

CSI - Joe is it? Thanks, do you live up here or in OR? and...based on your sig, I have to ask; "Got Gauges?"

Really is pointing towards o-rings or IPR. I replaced the IPR less than a year ago so swapping the old/working one would be pretty easy, but the EASE makes it look like it is bringing HPO up just fine.

Take care!

TC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

13 now... Soon to be 16!

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
BCT
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC63 View Post
Thanks for the tip Tom. I was going to try to configure a hand pump that I could use to pressurize an individual rail and close a valve like a leakdown detector and see how well each bank holds up. According to Kim Lux' posting, a rail should hold 3,000 psi overnight, no problem.
The "problem" I found today at the hydraulic shop was that this little setup would cost me well over $150 to have made up at the Parker dealer. We have an Ag/Industrial place I will try tomorrow.

CSI - Joe is it? Thanks, do you live up here or in OR? and...based on your sig, I have to ask; "Got Gauges?"

Really is pointing towards o-rings or IPR. I replaced the IPR less than a year ago so swapping the old/working one would be pretty easy, but the EASE makes it look like it is bringing HPO up just fine.

Take care!

TC

I made the testor., you can borrow if you like. Im local to you. PM me for time/place

1997 F350 4x4 XLT
Not Stock
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

If you have a min post up a pic and some information on that. We need to start building up information like that here.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
All Ford Guy

Quote:
If you have a min post up a pic and some information on that.
I think I can do that! I assume I can upload pics to this site and then link to them.... I'll take some pics as I go and then figure out the logistics of sharing them!

TC

97 F350 CC LB 4x4, ZF-5, LUK, Off-Road. Factory Alcoas, Michelin LTX-M/S LT265/75-16, Bilsteins. Homegrown intake, 4" exhaust, LUK clutch, 130cc injectors, 99+ intercooler, homegrown CCV mod, homegrown electric fuel system, still sorting out tuning/chip burns.
2003 Tahoe 27' Travel Trailer, Prodigy brake controller.
1991 5.0 LX - Best 1/4: [email protected]
1989 Taurus SW (To be like Tom S!)
Link to my Intercooler/Fuel System Install page -

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 AM
Taters #2 Fan

Send a message via AIM to JohnDeere9610 Send a message via Yahoo to JohnDeere9610

i was able to find my broke o-ring by just pulling the valve cover and as you crank it oil would come out around the injector

RDRCM# Five O

95 F350
Full Force stage 3 Hybrids
H2E
2L Motorsports Gen 3
Beans fuel system
Transmission by Jon Faubion
Tuned by the "WILDMAN"

99.5 Dodge
P-Pump 24v
2.6 puller
"Whitey"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 AM

johndeere that would depend on if it's an upper o-ring or a middle o-ring that's shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode