where can you find a PTO for a zf 5 speed? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

where can you find a PTO for a zf 5 speed?

hey guys I been hunting for a PTO or even just a pto gear for a zf 5 speed diesel. Any tips or sugestions are very apriciated.
thanks,
jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
PSN Local

Re: where can you find a PTO for a zf 5 speed?

They're around. I have a PTO on one of my ZF5's. Don't know where you'd get a new one though.

1997 F350 CCLB Dually XLT
1986 Bronco 6.9 Turbo XLT
Powertrain engineer by trade have worked for three OEM's.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
STILL LEARNING

Any dump,tow, hydraulic company can get them.

Just google Power take off

Chelsea& Muncie are the big names and both make 6 bolt PTOs

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

86turbodsl I PMed you
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 PM
PSN Newb

Hey guys, I'm full of PTO questions and I finally had a chance to crawl under my trucks to check things out.

I have a '93 F-Superduty (F450) 2WD 460 gas engine, ZF5 transmission w/brake and a Chelsea pto driving a hydraulic pump mounted about a foot & a half back via shaft with 2 u-joints.

I want to swap this pto/pump and dump bed onto my '95 F350 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF5 4WD. The complete info from the ID tags is below.

1: Will this swap work. Does that PTO work on my new trany?
2: Is there a hydraulic pump I can mount directly to this PTO? It looks like the transfer case on my new truck may be in the way of mounting the hydraulic pump where it was on the old 2wd F450.
3: Can the PTO mount on either side of the ZF5? or is it made specific for one side.

Thanks guys!!!

“Donor” ’93 F-Superduty 2WD 460 gas engine ZF5 Trany w/ parking brake
Model: S 5-42
ZF Parts List #: 1307 050 080
Transmission Serial #: 8397497
Ford Parts #: F2TA-7003-RA
Total Ratio: 5.72 - 0.76
Spedo Gear: —
Build Date: 031693
Oil Cap: 3.2L
Oil Grade: ESP-M2C 166-H
Made In: USA

Putting PTO onto: ’95 F350 4WD 7.3L Powerstroke ZF5 w/ BW1356
Model: S 5-42
ZF Parts List #: 1307 050 109
Transmission Serial #: 8557110
Ford Parts #: F4TA-7003-FC
Total Ratio: 4.14-0.77
Spedo Gear: --
Build Date: 112294
Oil Cap: 3.2L
Oil Grade: E6AZ-19582-P
Made In: USA

Chelsea PTO (Made in USA - Dana Corp.)
MOdel #: 420XQEDX-W3XD
Date S/N: K93
Mounted on drivers side of transmission

Hydraulic Pump - Commercial Intertech
Part No. 312-9610-246
Ser. No. N091-6894
Mounted about a foot and a half back on an added cross-member
shaft with 2 U-joints connecting
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM
PSN Local

My opinion is no, the PTO you have now will not EASILY swap onto your other truck. The transmission gear that drives the PTO is the variable. Counting the teeth on both transmission drive gears is a place to start. I recently bought a new PTO for a 97 7.3 ZF5 and the gear they supplied in the PTO was not compatible with my transmission's drive gear. I had to count teeth and that's how they determined the correct gear for the PTO and sent me a replacement. They originally used the transmission part number to determine what gear to put in the PTO but that still didn't get it right the first time.

Best thing to do is count teeth. If its the same count then try swapping the unit. If it does not fit then you can buy a replacement gear for the PTO. BUT, be prepared, the driven gear in the PTO is several hundred dollars.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:30 PM
PSN Newb

I found an available pto off on '89 f450 with zf5 and 7.3L diesel.

Reportedly it's the setup that Ford sold it with, but I haven't had a chance to see it for myself or get a model yet.

Just wondering if any one has any knowledge of what it would be. One question: it's an electrically activated pto. Is that good or bad? I've only ever used the cable activated kind with a push/pull in cab. seems like it would be nice to save the space and just have a switch on the dash, and in my experience the cable can take some muscles to operate which can be awkward depending on where it's located.

Also found a '92 f350 4x4 wrecker with a 7.3L diesel, zf5 and an available PTO, but I don't know much about it and it's a little harder to get.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 AM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuercusRubra View Post
I found an available pto off on '89 f450 with zf5 and 7.3L diesel.

Reportedly it's the setup that Ford sold it with, but I haven't had a chance to see it for myself or get a model yet.

Just wondering if any one has any knowledge of what it would be. One question: it's an electrically activated pto. Is that good or bad? I've only ever used the cable activated kind with a push/pull in cab. seems like it would be nice to save the space and just have a switch on the dash, and in my experience the cable can take some muscles to operate which can be awkward depending on where it's located.

Also found a '92 f350 4x4 wrecker with a 7.3L diesel, zf5 and an available PTO, but I don't know much about it and it's a little harder to get.
Justa FYI. FORD does not sell PTOs.

And if you read the posts above you need to count teeth to see if it will work in your truck

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 PM
PSN Newb

Are you saying I can't go to a Ford dealer and buy a Ford truck with a PTO powered hydraulic dump bed? I've never tried to buy a new one, and I know that Ford probably doesn't manufacture PTOs - I know at least the major PTO manufacturers are not Ford, but I assume they're trucks are available, and I could be wrong. When I drive past my Ford dealer here, they do have trucks on the lot with hydraulic dump beds. I was guessing that ford would have a relationship with one of the pto manufacturers, and use them consistently at least for a period - just like they do with many other components on a truck.

But according to my dealer's parts counter, that's not the case. They have no idea what PTO would come on a given year ford. I also noticed that the f550 I looked at there had electric hydraulics. I only looked at that one truck.

I also realize that the tooth-count is the main issue of compatibility between transmission and PTO unit, but those in the know, or those with access to literature, can give a pretty accurate assessment of compatibility from model numbers and such info off the units.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 PM
PSN Local

OP,

Call these guys.

http://www.mechanicadvisor.com/ca/fr...k-equipment-co

PTO's are part of what these guys do.

They can help you get the right gear to match up to you existing PTO. I'm sure there is another company nearer to you as well.

1996 F-350 4X4, Edge Tuner, DIY Tymar intake, Stancor mod, 4" lift, ISSPRO Guages, 3" DP, 4" DP back exhaust, 35x12.5x17 Procomp Extreme All-Terrains, Firestone Bags, Warn/Dodge 12,000 winch and Warn winch bumper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode