Injector Cup? Thoughts? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
TL3
PSN Newb

Injector Cup? Thoughts?

I recently bought a '97 250HD 4x4 SuperCab with a blown head gasket. I've replaced the Head-gasket, and the truck ran great, but then it started overheating. Long story short, I've got water entering the #1 cylinder. I pulled the injector and the cup looks fine (as it did when the head was off), but when I pressurize the coolant I can see a stream of water passing the injector opening, flowing into the cylinder (leak from the outer part of cup?). If an injector cup were to "back out" would the symptoms match? I can't see a reason water would pass the injector cup "hole" if the leak were the HG.

FYI: I did a coolant pressure check after replacing the head and all was well. Truck had been sitting for a few years and I think this might be one of those fix-it-break-it chains where I go about fixing things which causes a new link to be the weak point in the system. Grrr. I just don't want to take the head off again if I don't have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Drive it like ya stole it

Re: Injector Cup? Thoughts?

Hmmm...don't think it "backed out", the injector bottoms out on the cup which would mean the injector would have had to have been backed out as well. Was there fuel in your coolant? When you started having problems?

97 F250 CCSB: 238/100s, 38r w/1.15 housing, SD conversion, 5" exhaust, Stealth pumps, e-fuel, 910 springs, pushrods, headstuds, intercooled, kevlar/ceramic clutch, tuned by Matt, gauges, 4" lift on 37s. D60 and ZF6 next on the list.

97 F250 ECSB: 3" downpipe, chip tunes by Jody, gauges stock height on 35s. SOLD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
PSN Veteran

If your seeing it at the cup your head gasket should be fine. Check your coolant and see if it smells like diesel, if so you've got a cup problem.

96 cclb f350.
idm mod,
gauges-boost/pyro/trans temp
afe stage 2 intake
dp to 4" straight pipe
studs, springs, pushrods
srp1
intercooler
electric fuel convertion
238/100
dp-tuner f6
T-4 mount and s470.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
TL3
PSN Newb

I think I drove diesel busses too long, because I have a hard time smelling diesel fuel anymore . The coolant always had a "light" fuel smell, but I figured it might have been residual, I've been running straight water because the truck sat for a year and no doubt could use a couple flushes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
TL3
PSN Newb

A follow up for the finish. I pulled/replaced the cup and all looked well, no noticeable pitting or cracking, makes me think it backed out. I also noticed the injector was missing it's copper washer on the tip. So my theory is that the gap left due to a missing washer gave allowance for the cup to back out. New cup/sleeve and injector washer installed and now I'm back driving the truck and all is working well...so far.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 AM
PSN Local

i had one come loose when i pulled the injectors just had to re torque the injectors after i ran it a little bit..seems to be fine now..just an idea incase there is a next time..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Drive it like ya stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL3 View Post
So my theory is that the gap left due to a missing washer gave allowance for the cup to back out.
Yeah that makes sense, those are some pretty thick washers. Glad ya got it figured out!

97 F250 CCSB: 238/100s, 38r w/1.15 housing, SD conversion, 5" exhaust, Stealth pumps, e-fuel, 910 springs, pushrods, headstuds, intercooled, kevlar/ceramic clutch, tuned by Matt, gauges, 4" lift on 37s. D60 and ZF6 next on the list.

97 F250 ECSB: 3" downpipe, chip tunes by Jody, gauges stock height on 35s. SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode