pulling the turbo, besides what I read, any other tips. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

pulling the turbo, besides what I read, any other tips.

I read the few write ups people have posted but any other tips that make this go.smoother. I have been spraying the bolts since last week every other day. I'm gutting the evpb and changing the pedestal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:30 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: pulling the turbo, besides what I read, any other tips.

Take your time.

02 f250
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 PM
PSN Veteran

As a suggestion when replacing the pedestal make sure you trim the webbing on the front of it so it's easier to get at the banjo bolt when messing with the fuel system.

Like this

Also I used an elastic band to hold the rear pedestal bolts in the pedestal without falling down when lining up ped on instal. Oh and one more thing to insure the o-rings don't fall out on the block to ped interface I cut a paddle shaped piece of plastic from a windshield washer jug. Put the o-rings in the block with a little grease on them, laid the plastic paddle down on top of them then sandwiched between pedestal and block. Once I got the pedestal in place and bolts partially done up I slide the plastic paddle out.

Also covered the up-pipe o-rings and all bolts in quality anti-seize paste.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37” Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Awesome, thanks for that tip! Spraying things down for the week before this made things much easier. Got the evpb off really easily, gonna go back at it in a few.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I got the turbo off finally, after some swearing, skinned knuckles and a few beers it pulled off. The absolute worst thing about that job are the rear pedestal bolts. I made a tool for the 2 15mm nuts that worked awesome. There was a lot of nasty oil residue on the pedestal. When I was under the truck the I saw a good amount of oil on the drivers side of the block, coming from above the oil cooler and a little further back. What should I look for? While the turbo is out what else should I do? All the rubber lines in the valley look to be in good shape.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250towrig View Post
I got the turbo off finally, after some swearing, skinned knuckles and a few beers it pulled off. The absolute worst thing about that job are the rear pedestal bolts. I made a tool for the 2 15mm nuts that worked awesome. There was a lot of nasty oil residue on the pedestal. When I was under the truck the I saw a good amount of oil on the drivers side of the block, coming from above the oil cooler and a little further back. What should I look for? While the turbo is out what else should I do? All the rubber lines in the valley look to be in good shape.
Leaking valve cover? Or is it on the back of the block? If so check out the High Pressure oil gallery plug big one iirc 2" diameter, facing the firewall.

Iirc I ground off a bit of the flange on the passenger side lower turbo/collector interface (on the cast collector side, just took the corner off). The notion to do this is to make greater clearance so you can put a socket universal on the passenger side rear spider bolt.

To snug up the up pipe doughnuts use a chunk of thick wall pipe in a vise for an anvil slide the up pipe on (where it interfaces with doughnut) and by lightly tapping you can expand the diameter of the pipe so the doughnut will just slide on for a real snug fit. I took out most of the elongated scour marks on the up pipe out in this way. Also ran a sharpie marker around the full dia of the pipe so when pounding could tell where I'd been with the hammer. Also shaved off a bit of the doughnut clamp down ring so it would fit closer to the collector....hope all that made sense...cover all of it with good quality anti-seize paste.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37” Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The high pressure cross over line was leaking at the head.
possible oil leak culprit - PowerStrokeNation
Yes that made sense, thanks for the tips. I'm trying to to disturb the up pipes. Hopefully with the non evbp pedestal it will go on a little bit easier.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Hey no worries...

Yes it will go on easier with the Non EBPV ped. I gutted mine sawed off the cylinder, piston etc., and was easier to put on. I'm guessing you mean not disturb the up-pipes? With all due respect good luck with that.....they are a bugger to dick about with and would rather eat bees or have needles poked in my eyes....heh heh...

What I have done with my two trucks is pull off the up pipes and mess with them as posted above to prevent/stop the doughnut leaks. While you have the turbo off it's easier to take off the pipes (then with turbo on) and pulling pipes out through the top. I also (while flippin the auto for ZF tranny) took the time to bend the pinch weld on the floor/firewall joint after cutting slits to bend it back against the floor pan. Did this all the way round the tranny tunnel. In addition pushed back the lower part of the floor pan/fire wall so the up pipes could be pulled out through the bottom. It's a bunch of work but worth the hassle MO to make easier access when messing with the pipes...

jrc

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

well it fired right up, replaced the o rings on the turbo pedestal, and the ones on the cross over line, idles better and throttle response is much crisper. gonna put some miles on it and look for leaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode