Door dinger keeps dinging!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Door dinger keeps dinging!!!

So when I bought my 96 PSD the drivers door did not have the dome light switch, it had been removed / destroyed by the previous owner?

I purchased a new replacement switch from my local NAPA P/N DJ6330SB and installed it. It works great with one annoying side effect, whenever I open the drivers door the dinger (key in ignition warning, lights on, wait to start, etc.) dings?

As soon as i shut the door it goes off, but if the door is open, it rings. It rings with the keys in my pocket, the lights off, no apparent triggers. I do not believe this is normal?

I think the ignition may be the problem, a fault in the tumblers so the truck thinks the keys are in the ignition. Anyone know or have experience sorting out a similar problem? If I knew which wires from the ignition switch were for the dinger I could check there first...

As usual all help and insights are appreciated!..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Door dinger keeps dinging!!!

Prob. the ignition. Are you sure you're turning the key all the way to the LOCK position? See if you can remove the key with the cylinder turned away from the LOCK position. If you can, see if you can then still turn the cylinder without the key. Sometimes when the key and/or cylinder wears, this can happen.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
PSN Newb

Well....

I just traced this circuit out myself. I actually wanted my warning chime to work. I know, I'm weird.

The chime module is located above the throttle pedal just behind the keyless entry module if so equipped.

See if these help....

Warning_Chime_001.pdf

Warning_Chime_002.pdf

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the input guys! I played with the truck some this morning, and the chime is only associated with the drivers door.

Okney1lz, I'll check those pdf's, what I am wondering is what are the chime triggers, what specific issues make the chime sound when the drivers door is opened. The only ones I can think of are keys in the ignition, and lights on? Not sure on either really...but it looks like those diagrams will help...Thank you!

madpogue, I'll check the lock position cylinder wear issue as you suggest...Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
PSN Newb

It the key in ignition circuit in my truck did same thing. I cut the black wire with pink stripe going to the buzzer. It goes to the ignition circuit. No more ding when the key in or door is open. But the headlight dinger still works. Its a bad contact in the ignition switch. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 PM
PSN Newb

Hello I am new to the site but I have a 1997 F-350 Powerstroke. I think that the chime or buzzer has been disabled in my truck by the previous owner because no matter what I do the chime doesn't come on. I would like to know if anyone knows what fuse in the fuse box this runs off of or if there could be another solution to my issue. Also would like to know if when the "wait to start" indicator is on shouldn't there be a buzzer type sound that accompanies this light? Thank you!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Pull the plug. Plug is on the right side of pic and dinger is the black box.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM
PSN Veteran

There is no chime associated with the WTS light.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
PSN Local

I cut a wire the stopped the dinger when the key is in the ignition and the door is open. However, it will still ding if the headlights are on and the door is opened.

I would have to go thru my note to find which wire it was, but it was simple and easy!

~DR

97 F250HD (Cal. model) Auto, Ext. Cab XLT, 4x4, long bed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode