2wd manual to 4x4 auto - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
SIZE MATTERS

2wd manual to 4x4 auto

Im in the middle of this conversion i already have the trans mounted in the truck but im having problems tiring to get the electrical figured out. I changed the whole main harness up front because the one for the auto has more pins than the one for the manual. I as put in the auto pcm, but the problem is with the trans wiring harness. The truck will only start if the manual harness is in. i go to put the auto harness in and the truck wont turn over.

Do i have to jump something?

I already disabled the clutch safety switch with the correct plug from the auto. Wht else is there?

Sorry for all the questions but im out of ideas. All help will be really appreciated. Thanks

- 96 F250 XCSB PSD Auto 255,000 mi -
- 96 F350 CCLB PSD 5spd 98,000 mi-
3" Body lift and Leveling Kit
285/75-16 Federal Couriga Mt
3" DP to 4" to 8" Cat Stack
TS 6 Position Chip
GlowShift - EGT, Boost and Trans
CCV Mod
FRP Shim
EBPV Brake
AirLift Bags

To Come.........
4X4 Conversion, Stage 1's, E-Fuel, Adrenaline HPOP, Intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 2wd manual to 4x4 auto

Just throwing this out there, is the auto tranny gear selector adjusted such that you are in the correct "gear". In other words column selector says park and tranny is actually in park? I thought I read somewhere that tranny should be in N and selector too for install.

The plug you are referrencing is under the dash and would plug into the clutch safety switch right. There is a male plug that has jumpers inside that plugs into this that harness to by pass this circuit for the auto.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
SIZE MATTERS

ya i have the gear selector all right so there is no problem there and yes that's the plug im talking about. its got the jumpers in for the clutch safety switch.

TS 6 Position Chip
CCV Mod
FRP Shim
EBPV Brake
AirLift Bags

To Come.........

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Check voltage at the selector switch (neutral safety switch). When an assistant is holding the key in START, you should have voltage on both terminals related to the neutral start lockout (sorry, no EVTM in front of me, so I don't know the wire colors). Also check that there's zero resistance BETWEEN those two terminals. If an ohm test between the terminals shows it's "open" (infinite resistance), then that selector is still not adjusted properly. Is the column shifter actually hooked up? If so, have you tried it in Neutral as well as Park? And have you tried moving the shifter around while holding the key in START?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
SIZE MATTERS

I will check tht in a sec. i just got it to start but its on the manual trans harness and but i have no throttle response.

TS 6 Position Chip
CCV Mod
FRP Shim
EBPV Brake
AirLift Bags

To Come.........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
PSN Veteran

This is with the auto PCM? Just a WAG, but I'm thinking with the manual harness, the auto PCM isn't even "seeing" a tranny there, and is going into some limp mode (idle only). For S&G, you could try it on the manual harness and manual PCM, just to see if it responds to the go-pedal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
SIZE MATTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
This is with the auto PCM? Just a WAG, but I'm thinking with the manual harness, the auto PCM isn't even "seeing" a tranny there, and is going into some limp mode (idle only). For S&G, you could try it on the manual harness and manual PCM, just to see if it responds to the go-pedal.
Lmao thts wht i did and yup got the throttle back. I guess ive just got to spend some time diagnosing the electrical

TS 6 Position Chip
CCV Mod
FRP Shim
EBPV Brake
AirLift Bags

To Come.........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 AM
PSN Veteran

Well, if you wanna live dangerously, or you trust yourself, you can go back to the auto harness, and just jumper the two terminals associated with the starter lockout on the tranny connector. That means the truck will fire with the shifter in ANY position, but if you're a grownup and trust yourself, the truck should start, and the PCM should do its stuff. That will buy you time to diagnose it; at least you'll have a running truck.

Have you tried putting the key in RUN, and working the shifter, into Reverse and the other positions, to see if the back-up lights go on (and OFF) when they should?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode