Looking to buy a 7.3 with 300k, advice? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Looking to buy a 7.3 with 300k, advice?

There is a 1997 Ford F250 With the 7.3 at a dealership in town. Theyre asking 4k for it, which is 4600 under bluebook. Miles reflect it. Have not seen it or driven it yet but I have a few pictures.

So I am told it runs and drives good. A mechanical friend of mine said it will probably just need rings if it hasnt been done yet, but its a million mile engine. Which I know but I do know is that bearings and seals wear out just like any other vehicle no matter how long the engine can run which is a little concerning.

So at 300k is there anything else about the engine or the truck even to worry about? Obviously general wear and tare. But diesel-wise since im a diesel newb. What are specific things to look for. Ive searched and ive read about white and blue smoke at startup or take off and how injectors are going bad by just staying open so there is alot of smoke and it fels gutless. What else?

On a side know another diesel friend of mine told me this is one of the most desirable engines to have because the blocks are different or something and theyre just incredibly tough. Can I get something a bit more specific?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 AM
PSN Local

Re: Looking to buy a 7.3 with 300k, advice?

the 99.5 to 2001 were the most desirable 7.3 after that they went away from the forged connecting rods. my 2 cents. check for blowby, look up the air intake tube towards the engine/turbo and check for grit or dirt,this will give some information on a dusted engine, start the engine cold and see how bad it smokes and what color the smoke is and how rough does it idle when first started cold. 4 thousand might be allot of money to somone but just the transmission will run that to rebuild and injectors will be about that installed if needed, a turbo will be about 1500 bucks ect. the 7.3 is a good motor but how well was it taken care of before you are buying it. if someone who had it before you wasn't up on the maintenance side you can spend another 4 thousand right quick. Thankx sorry for the long post.

2011 F350 CC Dually, Lariat, ultimate package PSD, lock pick, line x, weather guard x box. Pic in avatar.

2000 xcab F250 PSD 4x4 not even close to stock, broken Feb 2011 (collision, write off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

When you say dusted engine do you mean an engine ran in a really dusty environment? I get the feeling this was a farm truck so thats a very strong possibility. Stay away?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM
PSN Local

no a dusted engine means someone did not do the maintenance correctly and the air filter wasn't installed correctly or a hole in it and allot of dust and junk got sucked into the intake and through the engine, this will wear out the pistons and score walls and cause excessive blowby and lower compression, hard starting ect. my old truck had over 250 k miles and had no issues yet, although somewhere around the 200k mark new injectors are probably a good investment.

2011 F350 CC Dually, Lariat, ultimate package PSD, lock pick, line x, weather guard x box. Pic in avatar.

2000 xcab F250 PSD 4x4 not even close to stock, broken Feb 2011 (collision, write off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 PM
PSN Local

I bought mine with 312K for 5K. Like they said, check the blowy. A good test is to take the fill cap off and cover the hole with it, if it blows it off there's a problem, if it kinda rattles/vibes off your ok.

Prob gonna have to rebuild the oil cooler, dipstick gaskets, etc.

Make sure the trans doesn't shift funky tho..

96 CCLB XLT, Napa BHAF, TS 6pos, glow shift guages (pyro boost trans), 3" downpipe, 4" pipes. 6lift, 325/85 XML.

84 K5 - LQ9 swap (6.0) 4 speed detroits, 38's...

I'm a Newb ....and I accept it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
PSN Local

<<419k on mine only major problem i have delt with is bad injector cups and a worn out turbo... i believe someone replaced the injectors before i got it

97 f-250 4x4 psd, diy intake 6 pos chip fpr shim 3" mbrp dp into 5" dual stacks 4" lift on 35" mud terrains

DRC Performance
drcperformance.net
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Very interesting. K5383, what am I taking the fill cap off of???
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Big Sun fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Very interesting. K5383, what am I taking the fill cap off of???
the oil fill cap. you should be able to take the cap off, set it over the hole you unscrewed the cap from and have it not blow off. it might rattle off, that is ok but if it blows off there's engine problems.

e99 F350 7.3l 6sp. 4" exhaust & dp, Adrenaline hpop (& other Dieselsite goodies), 160cc Stage 1's, D66, tunes by BTS, DIY Intake, Isspro gauges & pillar mount....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Whoops I misread his post. gotcha.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:09 AM
PSN Newb

I agree with the oil cap test. Just be sure to check it over completely. As soon as I bought my truck I had to replace the turbo and injectors, then the trans went out. Spent $5000 on a $3000 "deal" Needless to say the truck was not well taken care of. Now it's all fixed up and runs great, but I could have a lot nicer truck for what I have spent.

My dads truck has almost 300k he bought it new and took care of it. it runs great with the original injectors and turbo.

Bottom line maintenance is very important with these trucks.

95 F-350 CC 4x4 4.10s 315's on Mickey Thompson Classic II's
Tuning by TSD, Electric Fuel, 6637, Hydroboost, Intercooler & RSK in the works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode