Driveability/Stumbling/Banks Ottomind chip - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Driveability/Stumbling/Banks Ottomind chip

Hey, so I have had my 1997 crew cab since end of last year, and it has always had this stumble under acceleration from 1500-2000ish.. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does do it most of the time. SO the truck since I purchased it has gotten, 6637 intake, electric fuel, south bend single mass kit, black and grey cps's (black in her currently). It also has (was on the truck when I got it) downpipe, US Gears Overdrive, Banks I/C, superduty intake boot, and it until today had a Banks Ottomind chip on it. I haven't driven it far yet, but I couldn't get the truck to stumble without the chip, but now that I am in the new stock hp world, it feels like it may (I haven't driven many of these) slight miss under acceleration. My question is, should the truck accelerate smooth all the way through the RPM band? Its hard to explain, it may not be that it isn't smooth but it gets rumbly, could be exhaust rumble too, but I know its not as smooth as the truck is running down the highway at 17-1800.. Any thoughts on if the chip maybe is just intensifying a miss, or if the truck sounds normal now??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Terminator Nation

Re: Driveability/Stumbling/Banks Ottomind chip

Sounds like you solved your own problem. Banks ottomind chip isn't worth the effort to throw it into the trash. Mine's sitting on the shelf as a reminder that some stuff is just a POS.

Actually, check where the chip plugs into the PCM. The contacts have to be very clean. A light touch with a Sotchbrite pad will do a good job of cleaning the copper pads.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

well after driving it home 25 miles last night, I think there is still an issue..I think the chip just intensifies the issue. I am going to see if I can find another IDM to test that, will also take a close look at the UVCH's. Is there anyway to test the UVCH's without removing the valve cover? I suppose I could warm the truck up and shoot the infrared thermometer at the exhaust manifolds and see if I see any large differential in heat, if I have a cylinder/cylinders not firing they would be cooler, no? I have been battling this for months, and at my wits end.. this is my first powerstroke (previous cummins owner, but needed a crew cab)and I need to get it fixed and running right or get rid of it.. Have had 2 shops scan it and literally give me NO info, they just want to throw injectors at it, which is fine if you tell me WHY... And the dealer has scanned it and thinks its fine (how rare).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 AM
PSN Newb

I am having the same problem you figure it out I wanna know I just started a thread a about this also

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode