Consensus on overfilling the ZF5? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Consensus on overfilling the ZF5?

So I just got the Southbend clutch in, and am experiencing the extra noise at idle and clutch out. I have heard of guys overfilling the tranny from the top to help with this issue. I am looking for experience here, who has done it, and what is your opinion? Also any synthetic fluid better than the rest? I am hoping to do a fluid change this weekend and would like to get my ducks in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Consensus on overfilling the ZF5?

Subscribed. Did you opt for a single-mass flywheel? No direct experience, but I just read on one of the other sites that an extra quart can reduce the gear rollover noise you get with the SMF. We're presently running Mobil 1 in both ours (SMF, Luk non-performance clutch), not overfilled. and to be honest, I'm not real pleased with the shifting at low temperatures. Gonna follow this thread to see if overfilling might help with this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yes I went single mass, and I have a fair amount of gear rollover, mine shifts like crap cold too... I have heard some guys say AMSOIL is the only fluid to put in it, but I didn't like Amway shampoo so I am not so sure :-)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Does your cold shifting seem worse with the new clutch / flywheel? Or just "no better".

Another synth that I've read is good for manuals that take ATF is an Allison/Castrol product called TranSynd. Supposedly available at truck stops.

(Do NOT use Amway shampoo; you will get suds coming up out from under the shifter boot....)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 PM
PSN Veteran

I run Redline MTL 4 quarts and it works great in the ZF-5. Roll over noise will be increased with the single mass setup.... time for a bigger stereo...

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Interesting thing is the truck had a LUK single mass in it, and it wasn't as loud in the rollover dept as the Southbend. I think the cold shifting may be a little worse with the new ckutch, but it has always sucked. May replace the hydraulics, but don't want to just throw parts at something that good fluid change may solve first.. I have plenty of other issues to throw parts at
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Hydraulics/actuation might be a contributing factor. You can measure the hydraulics performance. Get an assistant in the cab and slide under the truck. Have the assistant work the clutch, all the way to the floor, while you measure the movement of the very tip of the fork. It should move at least 1/2" - 5/8".

One "slop" point in the clutch actuation is the crappo bushing on the pushrod eyelet. There's a fancy Heim joint fix for it, or you can adjust the arm (remove it from the pivot and reposition it on the splines) and replace the plastic bushing with a piece of 1/2"OD x 7/16"ID brass, and put a 7/16" drill stop collar on the "ball" on the arm to keep it in place. Snugs it up some, anyway.

Dang, no one else has any overfill experience to report?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ALOT of AUTOMATIC trucks!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandareae28 View Post
Interesting thing is the truck had a LUK single mass in it, and it wasn't as loud in the rollover dept as the Southbend. I think the cold shifting may be a little worse with the new ckutch, but it has always sucked. May replace the hydraulics, but don't want to just throw parts at something that good fluid change may solve first.. I have plenty of other issues to throw parts at
Long Story short version....Try the RedLine MTL and overfill with 4 quarts. Used to have (prior to full rebuild) grinding syncroes 3rd to 2nd shift especially when cold. Put in RedLine MTL smartened it right up. Now after full rebuild used it again.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 03:43 PM
PSN Local

I had a LUK clutch and SMF put in earlier this summer. The guy at the shop said to bring it back to flush the fluid out and put new fluid in after about 2 weeks or 1000 miles. I then put Amsoil ATF in it, just to the top of the regular fill hole. I don't have any roll over noise and it shifts fine when "cold". Though I do live in Houston and the coldest it has been was like 55 a few days ago. I told him I wanted a clutch that could hold 450 hp, which is what he said he put in.

97 F-250 ECLB ZF5 7.3 4x4, 6637 Filter, MBRP 3" to 4" with 5" tip, HPO xover pipe, shimmed FPR, Boost and Pyro Gauges, PHP chip with stock, 60 hp, 80 hp, 140 hp, high idle, and no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode