Rough idle, oil consumption, no leaks. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Rough idle, oil consumption, no leaks.

Hello to all! I'd like to first say I just purchased my 1995 Ford F350 148K Powerstroke 5spd single cab long wheel base and I love it, however; it seems to be an expensive plateform to build off of.

It has a poor idle around 600 RPMs with clutch engaged. It seems to have plenty of of tq but when I run it hard its reading max 15psi at 900-1000 on the pyro. Oil consumption wasn't noticable for 1000 miles while babying the truck not hitting much boost.

The truck also at times takes a couple toggles of the key switch to get it to actually start, as if it's not getting enough fuel and needs to be primed a few times. Once it does does a large puff of blue smoke lets out instantly.

The truck has a bullydog that I always keep in low setting, stock everything else. Some people say injectors, some say injector o-rings, some say HPOP. Am I just going to have to replace everything to find out for sure?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Rough idle, oil consumption, no leaks.

Poor idle can be many things, especially with a 5-speed. Many times a bad dual mass flywheel (DMFW) can cause what seems like a miss at idle. You can inpect the flywheel by removing the inspection cover and checking to see if all the dampening springs and white plastic retainers are all intact. Also check the rotational freeplay between the masses by trying to rotate them against each other. 5/8" at the rim is the maximum.

For the hard start, many times it's the glowplug relay on a cold start. If it always starts hard, you could have injector o-rings heading south or IPR o-rings starting to go. The HPOPs are actually pretty good and don't fail that much. Check the color of the fuel filter and fuel drained from the bowl. If it's dark, its probably the injector o-rings. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok I looked at the fuel filter last night and it seemed to be slightly black. I would imagen the filter shouldnt be black at all...

What doesn't make since is how there isn't any oil consumption when the truck is drove easily (never exceeding 5psi) but when the truck is ran hard WOT 10-15 psi 800-900 EGTs then oil consumption is major. I would figure if it was an Injector O-ring it would be constant loss of oil leaking past it.

What I dont want to do is replace the o-rings, find out that didn't fix the problem and it turn out to be injectors. Anyway I could figure out if it wa one particular injector?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
OBS Addict

Souns like injector o rings. and If you replace one set you should replace all of them.

On edit: IMO you should lose the "Bully Dog"

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
Valair Clutch, only the best.
TS 6 Position Tyrant Tuning
S&B, MBRP, Isspro, Mag-Hytec, 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, HPX
Full sound system: Kicker-Kenwood
BILLET BADGES
Dick Cepek DC-2's/Duratracs
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I pulled the injectors and found that every one had bad o-rings. Once I replace the O-rings i'll see how the truck performs. Why is everyone hating on the Bully Dog tuner? I'm looking to upgrade to larger injectors/hpop and supporting mods so a real time tune is in the future but why trash the current tuner?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Probably because there are better options out there that have better performance, lower EGT's, etc. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:30 AM
OBS Addict

Bully dog has just been known to not be a great choice for these trucks.

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
Valair Clutch, only the best.
TS 6 Position Tyrant Tuning
S&B, MBRP, Isspro, Mag-Hytec, 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, HPX
Full sound system: Kicker-Kenwood
BILLET BADGES
Dick Cepek DC-2's/Duratracs
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode