Mechanical fuel pump removal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Mechanical fuel pump removal

Hey guys trying to remove the mechanical fuel pump from the top of engine,got the two bolt remove but feels like something is holding it. What else did I miss? Could it be that bottom fuel line? It just move upwards about an 1/8" and stops.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to 95 Stroker
Re: Mechanical fuel pump removal

when I did mine the first time it did that and I gave a little extra tug straight up and it came right out.

Charles
97 250 ECLB5spd, Dana 60, TS Tuner, Baby Swamp injectors, SD Intercooler, afe stage II intake, 4" D/E turbo back exhaust, electric fuel conversion by Carson Stauffer
96 250ECLBbone stock with an auto
95 250 RCLB parts truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I was able to break it loose with a long pry bar but feels like something is holding it. I will try again another day. I will try to pull on it a little harder. Is it just and arm riding on a cam or gear?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM
PSN Local

with bolts loose, hand crank or just have some one tap on the key switch to slowly rotate the engine and watch the pump lift up as the cam pushes the lifter up and stop at the high spot. This does 2 things. It brings cam on high side so lifter will not fall in engine and it pushes the pump up

96 F250 XLT 4x4 210000 miles Dana 60, Baby Swamped,Tony Wildman tunes,AutoMeter Pyro Boost Trans ,DPP downpipe,Tymar intake BTS TRANS

e99 f350 cc/lb drw php hydra plus Tony Wildman tune

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok i will give it a try. I will be using this engine for a swap into a SD. So when its all the way up it should pop out? Do i remove the lifter after pump is out?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM
PSN Veteran

The lifter normall comes out with the pump, but it has been known to drop off. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 PM
PSN Local

Bump the motor over until the pump moves up. What that does is position the cam straight up and the push rod won't fall into the motor. i used a claw hammer and popped the pump up. Worked great, just like pulling a nail out of a board.

'97 PSD, Cali truck. 2 wheel drive, Ext Cab, Auto. Baby Swamps, T.S. Chip. New glows plugs (ZD11). 273,000 mi. 3in down pipe. Cat & Muff Delete, (Love hearing the Turbo) Gauges, 6637 intake. New UVCH. Black CPS. Turbo next. But which one? In Vancouver, WA
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

So what holding it in there? So if I'm using this motor for a swap in my SD I would have to plug the fuel pump hole coorect? What size freeze plug would I need? What about the lifter and the push rod?

Thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 PM
PSN Local

There is a O ring on the bottom part of pump it seals it in block and sometimes it is hard to remove. IFIR it is a 7/8 inch freeze plug for the hole. Hope this helps Jeep

97 F250 Extended Cab 2 wheel drive long bed. Mods so far 6637 air filter, 140 Volt IDM, shimmed fuel pressure 3" Downpipe, No Cat. 10k Mod on ICP. 224K miles and going strong.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hey guys I got it out today just needed to pry on it a little. Push rod stayed in fuel pump. Okay so it should be a 7/8 freeze plug? Should anything be applied to the freeze plug?

Thanks Guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode