Up Pipe Donuts??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Up Pipe Donuts???

Ok, So I'm replacing the Up Pipe donuts on the engine I'm getting ready to put in the truck. I did the sbc donuts, crossed over the Napa # to a Felpro 60985. I got the manifolds, and all back on the engine and the inlet is still yet loose after I tighten the flanges as much as I can.

I'm guessing there is no way this can be normal, and there is no way I can afford the bellowed OBS up pipes as much as I would like to.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Needing Carbon Credits

Re: Up Pipe Donuts???

Get the brass donuts from Bean's.

05 F350 FX4 - Deleted and Exhausted
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontes View Post
Get the brass donuts from Bean's.
+1

or machine down the clamps.

Billy T.
[email protected]

'97 Black F250HD SC 3.55s, Punisher trans, PI Converter, Dana 60 RSK w/ V & C SD springs,
PIS 175/80s, HB Jr, Comp910s, Smith Bros PRs, ARPs, Fluidampr, IC, E-Fuel, CJC Traction blocks, HFHV IDM, T4/BASB, 262K

Other vehicles
-1987 Buick Grand National (Staged)
-2004 Mercury Marauder
-1993 Geo Prizm (beater)
-2016 F350 DRW Utlimate

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:40 PM
PSN Veteran

You could also "reshape" the upipes. What I have done on both my trucks is put a piece of heavy wall pipe in a vise slide the up pipe on it and with a hammer tap lightly to reshape and expand the diameter so the rings slide on with a bit of effort. On the wear marks what I did was to use a sharpie and draw a line around the full circumference of the u pipe. This will aid in maintaining a constant shaping as the hammer will erase the sharpie line. For me this has worked well and have even used the stock exhaust rings. Also as noted you could machine the oring clamps so they are thinner so as to pull them closer to the collector creating a tighter seal.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
PSN Veteran

I tried the Chevy donuts but they started leaking almost immediately. I went back and shaved about 0.100" from the clamps and used Navistar donuts, been sealed ever since.

95 F350 CC DRW, ISSPRO Performax gauges, Diamond Eye 3x4" DP & 5" exh, MBRP tip, Baby Swamps & tunes, Trans VB mods, Dunrite TC, Lock-Right, Cal-Tracs
99 Silverado race truck
96 F250 RCLB, bone stock
00 Jetta TDI, Kerma Tunes, Der Chimera Stg 3 clutch
73 & 74 Vega race cars, 92 GMC Typhoon, 73 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 73 Trans-Am 455
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I tried the Chevy donuts but they started leaking almost immediately. I went back and shaved about 0.100" from the clamps and used Navistar donuts, been sealed ever since.
Yes I tried them too and they leaked right away.....that was on the '96 a number of years ago...was truly a let down and waste of time...

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I grabbed a set from the local IH dealer, and it tightened up perfectly!

I guess we'll see how they do. The ones on the truck lasted 290k before they started leaking so maybe we'll be alright!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode