Rear End Problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
97BigRed

Rear End Problems

Here's one that's been stumping me for a while now. I can't seem to keep rear tires on my truck. (Definitely not from burn outs) The truck simply chews the rear tires off. I have never gotten more than 18k out of any size, shape, or make of tire since the factory tires. I have changed the rear end fluid twice, added friction modifier, etc. Fluids look fine, nice and clean, not burnt, and gears look brand new. No welds, etc... Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem? I would love to get some more mileage out of a set of tires!! Thanks for any help!

97 F350 4x4. 3" DP. 4" exhaust. Cold Air Intake. Luk Clutch. Auto Meter Gauges. Sniper Chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 AM
PSN Local

Re: Rear End Problems

Do they wear evenly? Do you pull anything? Rotate much?

97' F-350 7.3 5 speed, 160cc Rosewoods, 315/75r16s 16x10 MT fakelocks
96' F-350 7.5 5 speed, cali truck, 315/75r16s on Alcoas
02 Ranger FX4
79 "F350" mud truck, 18.5/44-16.5s
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Fixing Broken Stuff

I have never even herd of that before. I have got maybe 60k out of tires before. IDK ????

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 AM
PSN Local

I had rear end problems about a year ago. Went to the doctor and showed him and with a little time with the knife I was fixed. The healing wasn't fun as it could have problems but it's all good now. Jokes.

Have you had a wheel alignment to check? That is the weirdest problem? Do they wear evenly?

08 F250 CC/SB Spartan Tuned - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
I say take her out for some drinks, get her in the mood and ride it like a rented mule... might be the last time
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 AM
PSN Local

Also what pressures are you running?

08 F250 CC/SB Spartan Tuned - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
I say take her out for some drinks, get her in the mood and ride it like a rented mule... might be the last time
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
PSN Local

Have you checked to make sure your rear axle is not moving. I have seen it severall times were teh rear axle has walked breaking the spring center pin and staying in that position for years before anyone noticed. All looked good and tight untill we pulled apart... Get a 4 wheel alignment
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
97BigRed

Hey guys thanks for the replies! To answer some questions I always run my tires at the recommended max pressures. I am running 285/75/R16's at 65 psi currently. I do tow, I work in excavation so I have a trailer on with equipment relatively often. I have had it aligned but it has been some years, so that is a good idea to check, thanks! Also, I check my truck over often and have never noticed any pins being broken or my rear axle moving, but I will be sure and double check that, good thing to watch for. Also, a tid bit i forgot to mention, on pavement when I turn tight say in a parking lot, the rear end growls and has a subtle vibration you can feel/hear at low speeds... Thanks for the ideas !

97 F350 4x4. 3" DP. 4" exhaust. Cold Air Intake. Luk Clutch. Auto Meter Gauges. Sniper Chip.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed.Sept.97 View Post
Hey guys thanks for the replies! To answer some questions I always run my tires at the recommended max pressures. I am running 285/75/R16's at 65 psi currently. I do tow, I work in excavation so I have a trailer on with equipment relatively often. I have had it aligned but it has been some years, so that is a good idea to check, thanks! Also, I check my truck over often and have never noticed any pins being broken or my rear axle moving, but I will be sure and double check that, good thing to watch for. Also, a tid bit i forgot to mention, on pavement when I turn tight say in a parking lot, the rear end growls and has a subtle vibration you can feel/hear at low speeds... Thanks for the ideas !
rear end could be going south on you locking up on turns... Or you have some sort of limited slip in the back?

When we fount the broken center pins we did not know until we pulled it apart. everything looked good and tight and no movement by hand
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
97BigRed

ZRock, I'll be sure to check those pins. That has me wondering now. And I'm afraid of what you're saying about the rear end going south... it seems as though it gets worse the older / more miles the truck gets. It does have a limited slip rear end in it. Anybody have ideas or good places to look at rear end parts ie factory limited slip rebuild kits or elockers?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
PSN Veteran

have you checked you spring bushings? if there shot it wount track.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode