tail lights and dash - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

tail lights and dash

Last night when I went to go somewhere my dash lights would not come on. I got out and also noticed my tail lights were out to. Blinkers, reverse, and brake lights all work. I found 2 blown fuses and changed them but still no change. What else should I look at? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: tail lights and dash

Did they blow again? Which ones where they?

'97 4x4 ECLB: SD IC, TW 4 pos, afe, 3-4" w/areoturbine, 4 gauge, DIY stage 1s, GTP38R, cust E-fuel, E-brake, stage3 CM meth, 439hp still trying for 600. cust stereo, highamp alt, cust paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 F-150 RCLB: 460 swap, 3" lift, 33's,Trussed 9" w/ chrome-moly shafts, cust stereo, locked front/rear. My first love! EFI & Turbo coming soon...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

They didnt blow again. I change #13 in the cab. And I also changed one under the hood which was a small fuse 25amp.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Have you hooked up a trailer latley? Also I would start to look for a loose wire under the truck, also took at the trailer wire harness.

The tail lights and dash are usually on the same fuse to let you know that the tail lights are out when you don't have any dash lights. If the one that you changed under the hood was the #4 fuse it is for the Trailer Marker Lamps Relay, Trailer Backup Lamps Relay

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I bought the truck about a month ago and the trailer wire harness looks like a mess. I haven't hooked up a trailer yet . Should I just rewire the harness?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 AM
PSN Local

Check all connections at rear of truck for corrosion. Check license plate light sockets and see if they are rusted out. Pull trailer plug apart and look for corrosion. Whenever I had an issue similar to yours, it was always at the rear of the truck. Good luck.

97F250, EC LB 4x4 7.3 5sp 3:55,Donaldson Intake, Running W75/12.5/12.5 as of 2/20/12
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 AM
97BigRed

I agree with the consensus. I had a problem when I turned my turn signal on either direction, all three of my tail lamps flashed. Corrosion was shorting all of my trailer hook up connections together under the rear bumper.

97 F350 4x4. 3" DP. 4" exhaust. Cold Air Intake. Luk Clutch. Auto Meter Gauges. Sniper Chip.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Check fuse #4 in the interior fuse box. It's the one in the far opposite corner of the box from the turn signal can.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fixed it. Fuse #4 was melting do to a loose wire from the trailer harness hitting the frame. Thanks everybody for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode