Fuel deliever/ Filter issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel deliever/ Filter issues

Basically stock 1997 F-250..Have addition of 3rd fuel tank in bed and just put new injectors in.

Well I had my new injectors installed and everything was great. Then my wife was driving and the fuel filter light came on. She made it another few miles and it completly crapped out on her. I brought a new filter to put in it but the one in there wasn't that bad (only 100 miles on it). Still no start.

I had it towed to a shop (something I usually don't do) and they said they were not getting any fuel pressure out of the pump. I figured a clogged tank screen but I bought a new pump and put it in anyway. The other one was good by the way. After that I still couldn't get it to start. Then I looked at the small screen on the IPR and it was clogged. I think this is my IPR screen???? I'm not sure. It is that screen at the top of the fuel bowl as part of that regulator on the top drivers side of the fuel bowl. None the less I cleaned it. Then I had my neighbor hold the schrader valve until all of the air got out and then it ran fine. About 100 miles later and light comes on. No issues at all and then all of the sudden it died and I'm not getting fuel into the bowl again. Fuel filter is clean.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm leaving on a 2500 mile road trip towing a trailer in 2 days and need to get to the root of the problem. This is our first vacation in a couple of years and will be the for a couple more years and it is quickly going down the drain.

All 3 of my tanks doesn't help with the issue so I don't think it is a clogged tank screen though it could be. Should my fuel lines drain from the stock tanks if I unhook them? Becuase they don't.

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Fuel deliever/ Filter issues

I also only cleaned one side of FPR screen. It didsn't want to come off. I figured the bristles from the tooth brush would push it all thru? Maybe not?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM
PSN Veteran

cab cleaner for the screen and there is a rock type filter in the bottom of the fuel reg under the big snap ring. pullit a pard or back flush it with carb or brake cleaner see what you get out if it./ check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve.
2 10 mm bolts to remove the fpron the side of the fuel bowl get the new o-rings from ford or IH.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hmm. I will have to see what I can find for this "rock" type filter on the FPR. I've finished checking my fuel system all the way from the tank to my pump. There was some restriction in the fuel switching valve but I have it cleared and flowing much better. I still do not have a start though. Nothing but air comming out of my schrader valve and the pump doesn't seem to be moving any substantial fuel.

Someone mentioned my fuel lines on the pump might have collapsed but the issue has happend twice and they looked fine when I put them on and still do.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I did a bunch of diagnosing this afternoon. Final determination is brand new fuel pump went KAPUT after fuel restriction of 4 miles.

I started by checking how much flow I was getting from my fuel tanks. Both were relatively little but draining on their own after the fuel switching valve. I blew air back up thru it and (with fuel caps off so no pressure build) I doubled my fuel flow. Fuel looked clean in both tanks. Next I checked my 3rd tank selector valve. No problems or restrictions there. Finally I took off the fuel pressure regulator and blew air up thru the line. Plenty of fuel blew out and no restrictions issues.

Prior to this I screwed on a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and along with my Pella pump used it to try and releive the air pressure that was conitinually comming out of it. After 15 different attempts to start the car it would not even remotely start running. And this was after I had cleaned out the screen on the regulator.

I took off the regulator and was checking for fuel pressure from the pump when very unexpectatly only after about 2 seconds this happened (See Video)

On another forum someone mentioned that there is a rock type filter on the bottom of the regulator. I took off the snap ring and it was very dirty. So much so that after I tried to blow air in reverse thru the opening no air would go thru. The filter shop up into the air. Even holding it down all air pressure would return out the port I was filling it with.

I'm going to see if I can get a new one of those mesh type filters from ford. But until then I will run without one. I beleive this is what is responsible for killing both of my fuel pumps in less than 50 miles each. Even though the fuel filter light only came on approx 5 miles before destruction.

I've read thru multiple forums and never found anyone mention this. So hopefully this #1: fixes the problem and I will update #2: helps someone else in the future and saves them 230 bucks in fuel pumps and a lot of diagnosing time.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm thinking my logic is there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2328.JPG (191.7 KB, 25 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM
PSN Veteran

you may want to pull your tanks, if your flow incressed after back flushin the lines. it sounds like you have junk it the tanks restricting the unbrellas in the tanks.You must have goo in the from what i see in your pic of the reg filter.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes it wouldn't surprise me if there was some stuff in there. I'm thinking the restriction was in the switch valve itself as I only blew into one tank but both tanks began flowing quicker. None the less after 240K of fuel and all that I've dicked with it surely has something in there. All that said.

Ok well it worked. I went to ford and that filter comes with 2 orings and a snap ring and they wanted 84 bucks. CRIMINAL...They ordered it but I'm not going to go back and get it. I might come up with something else later. It just seems like a redudant filter anyway. When I go to E-fuel in the next year or so I won't need it anyway.

I'm not sure if my fuel pumps were bad or not. They still pump out fuel when on the ground but that doesn't mean they are good. I bought a new one this morning and put it in. But I poured in some ATF and put the new pump in and it cranked up after the second try total about 30 seconds. Seems to run GREAT. I haven't had this much power in awhile. It is not crazy but seat of the pants feeling is really there.

Also if anyone in the area needs help changing out the fuel pump I can do it in less than 30 minutes now. So the fact that Ford charges 6.5 hours is also Criminal. That tech changes it out and then takes the rest of the day off as well as your 700 bucks.

I will report back after our 2500 mile trip in a few weeks. Hopefully this was the final fix and I don't have any more restriction problems. Might have to buy some AAA just incase. Would make for a very long trip if it did this again.

Thanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Very Informative posting...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
PSN Veteran

be sure to watch when you get about 1/4 tank, when you blew back in the tank you may have blown the unbrellas off or shatered the umbrellas I had mine desinagrate so at 1/4 tank I was running out of fuel.so keep a full tank in till you see on each tank.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:09 AM
PSN Veteran

You can get that screen (the part number I have is F6TZ-9150-BA) from Tousley Ford Parts online for $44.37 (list is $85.83). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode