New truck (and my first diesel) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

New truck (and my first diesel)

Well yesterday I picked up my new truck (new to me) and it is my first ever diesel. Its a 1996 F-350 with 80K miles on it. The truck is immaculate inside and out! There's a few minor defects like the clear coat peeling on the front wheels, but it is a 96, so I can live with that. I do have a few questions about the truck though. Is there anything you all would recommend to do right off the bat? The previous owner had the oil changed by Ford 2 months ago and only drove the truck roughly 200 miles since so that should be good. Should I add a fuel treatment? Anything else to check that anyone can think of? It does need a new air filter so that's already on my list. Thanks in advance!
-Matt

1996 F-350 CCLB dually, 4.10, 235/85R-16, ZF5, Tymar intake, Alabama Flowmaster, Isspro gauges, TS chip, Tightwad Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Re: New truck (and my first diesel)

Great looking truck. Any time I buy a "new" vehicle it gets a complete fluid change. Otherwise just get in it on it and under it looking for little things, blown bulbs, small oil / fuel leaks etc.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

That is my plan. I have a 93 F-150 and from the time I got it in high school to now it is amazing how much I have learned about working on trucks and the amount of things I learned myself about maintenance in general. So I hope that it will be the same case with this truck. I do have some help on my side as I help my buddy with his IH pulling tractor so I do know a good amount about diesel basics and luckily he is great with them so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am also going to try and convert it to run on WVO as my neighbor does these conversions on trucks. But that is a whole different thread...

1996 F-350 CCLB dually, 4.10, 235/85R-16, ZF5, Tymar intake, Alabama Flowmaster, Isspro gauges, TS chip, Tightwad Mod

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM
PSN Local

I would change out fuel filter, Test anti freeze and change if needed, check diffs and trans change if needed, Make sure everything is greased. Usually i try to look at all the things most people forget

Nice Rig!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrock View Post
I would change out fuel filter, Test anti freeze and change if needed, check diffs and trans change if needed, Make sure everything is greased. Usually i try to look at all the things most people forget

Nice Rig!!!
check all the wear parts to, brakes, u joints, bushings, diffs, trans, tcase, engine oil. coolant, filters, then once all the matainence checks out then you can start with the goodies, intake exhaust and so on

Refugee
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM
STILL LEARNING

Nice looking truck.

I agree with the others, check all the fluid levels and go over the entire truck, so there will be no surprises

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode