anybody ever go to a single battery system on their truck? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

anybody ever go to a single battery system on their truck?

As the title says, I can get some really good batteries, all our tractors are running just one now and we have a 4020, 4320, 4240 and a pair of 4440's and they all start just fine with this one battery and lights work great too. I just don't know if the powerstroke system is too much pull for one battery. Cause everything is electronic, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 AM
bring the chain

Re: anybody ever go to a single battery system on their truck?

With cold starts and high electrical demand id stay wit two. Technically you could get aeay wot it. You would relize the advantages of two batteries the first time it didnt start on a cold day.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Actually there's LESS electronic stuff on an OBS than on the Super Duties and other later trucks. Fuel is, of course, all mechanical. And that's not what draws on the batteries. With any vehicle, once the engine starts, it's up to the alternator, not the batteries, to provide sufficient current to run everything.

The major purpose of the battery (or batteries) is to start the vehicle, and what requires two batteries for our trucks is the fact that it has such a bigeffin' starter to turn (to turn such a bigeffin engine at very high compression), at the very same time it's powering the glow plugs, which are, in effect, eight big toaster heating elements. The battery numbers you mention don't tell us much; are they models of a particular brand? TBH, I don't know if anyone makes a single battery that produces the kind of CCA that our trucks require. It'd have to be somewhere in the 1600 CCA range. Even if someone made one that big, I dunno if I'd want to try to lift one into the engine compartment.

Oh, waitaminit; are those John Deere tractor model numbers? Problem with JD is, they keep changing their numbering schemes; ours is only four years old, and it's being built now under a completely different number. I reckon a lot of them either have much smaller glow plugs, or are at most six-cylinders, or, like mine, just have an air pre-heater and no glow plugs at all. So we're talkin' a lot less initial power draw.

"Where the quarterback dates the homecoming queen,
The trucks are Ford, and the tractors green
And a man's word means everything......"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The newest one of these tractors is a 1980, they are inbetween 100-150 horsepower tractors. The battery is 2200 cca, I don't know the amp-hour rating but the oldest one we have has been in the 4020 for four years, these tractors were all originally 2 battery 12 volt systems.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Wow, how big, physically, is that 2200 CCA battery? And are you sure that's cold cranking amps, not just cranking amps (CA)?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It is physically only about 4 inches longer, same width and a smidge taller but it has side mounts, top mounts and brass add on posts thatyou screw on, but I will have to modify my battery box some. The thought is if I can do just as good with one as two I can have extra room on the driver side for advanced modifications? You get that battery out of there and it looks like you can park a four wheeler in there. And yes they are in between 2200-2400 cca, my dad works at a battery factory that builds some unbelieveable batteries for companies and the government.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 AM
PSN Local

It would probably work fine unless it sat for a long time in some real low temps. I only have one battery (1100 cca) in my 93 which has a common rail cummins in it. Once you start it, the alternator makes way more than you would ever need to keep it running. The only time I have a problem with my 93 is when it sits for months at a time, but I wouldn't blame that on having just one battery.

06 F350 4x4 ext cab dually, 6.0, auto, stock
95 F350 4x4 reg cab, powerstroke, 5 speed, banks brake, buckstop bumper, superchips
97 F350 4x4 crew cab, powerstroke, 5 speed, stock
93 Dodge Cummins, stock
11 GMC Duramax, stock
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks 94matt I. Think I am going to try it out, I don't know if it will hurt anything but will soon find out. I am thinking about what I can do with that extra space?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Matt View Post
The only time I have a problem with my 93 is when it sits for months at a time....
This is what a trickle / maintenance charger is perfect for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old96stroker View Post
Thanks 94matt I. Think I am going to try it out, I don't know if it will hurt anything but will soon find out. I am thinking about what I can do with that extra space?
Stuff a Smart Car in there, to jaunt into town if you ever break down
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:32 PM
PSN Local

I'd have a lot of money tied up in battery tenders if I had one on everything that sits around. A good pair of jumper cables is all I need, and I try not to let anything go completely dead in the winter so the battery doesn't freeze.

06 F350 4x4 ext cab dually, 6.0, auto, stock
95 F350 4x4 reg cab, powerstroke, 5 speed, banks brake, buckstop bumper, superchips
97 F350 4x4 crew cab, powerstroke, 5 speed, stock
93 Dodge Cummins, stock
11 GMC Duramax, stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode