96 F350 Power Problems.... FUEL? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

96 F350 Power Problems.... FUEL?

Help Please!

Symptoms:
First start of day(In morning) it'll blow a cloud of white smoke and idle a bit of white smoke for a minute then go away,
Rough Idleing,
Boggs down when I put pedal to floor and want to go(Like accelerating getting on interestate!),
After driving around for awhile, then turning it off to go into somewhere, Come back maybe 30 minutes later, I'll start it up and it will hunt jumping RPM's and stalling.
It will get up and go and get up to speed pretty good if I ease into the pedal.
When it's cold it runs great. I can put pedal to floor and she'll take off, once she gets up to temp I lose all get up and go power. In the winter I even had it blowing black smoke when I got into some icey conditions trying to get out of. I could never get out of some mud in the summer with it driving now that its warm.

What I've Done:
I'm guessing something with fuel. So I got a new fuel filter, changed oil, new oil filter, new air filter, I pulled my primary(front) tank down and checked it out. Fuel pressure is around 60 give or take(i read from a remote guage I put on the schrader fitting) Tried fuel injection cleaner, and tried seafoam. Neither seemed to make a difference but I knew that stuff isn't magic anyways.

My overdrive button and component broke off my gear shift. So I do not not if its in overdrive. Like I said above, when its cold, or even in the winter, it rides fine, but once it gets up to temp, and now that its summer, have no power at ALL, need to ease into the pedal to get up and go. ANY IDEAS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 96 F350 Power Problems.... FUEL?

Well you have good fuel psi at idle being that it's around 60psi. Have you scanned it for any codes?

02 f250
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Not really I ran my superchip on it which scans for some codes but didn't get any from it.

Im getting mixed ideas on what it is. Because if it runs strong when its cold then it can't be injectors because injectors would cause it to run bad entirely no matter cold or hot.. right? I'm taking it to get a compression test done just I want to fix it myself and not have some shop do it and pay out the ass

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Busted Knuckles

I'm just thinking out loud here but possible oil cooler problem? It seems to me it's an oil problem since it's happening when the truck gets warm. I know you said you changed the oil and what have you but it's still an idea. Are you getting romps when you start it warm?

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hmm thats possible. Would it cause that many problems? What do you mean by romp? Like jump RPMs hard and stall on startup when its warm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Busted Knuckles

It's kind of hard to explain a romp, it is what it sounds like. You start the truck, and the RPMs fluctuate real quick and it makes a "romp" sound. What I'm getting at is, when you have romps on a warm start sometimes it is a blown head gasket.

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

yes that is exactly what my truck does on warm start
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 AM
PSN Local

if you find out what this is let me know my truck runs like this with the chip stock its fine though

2008 F250 CCSB 4x4, 101K Stock

2004 F350 CCLB FX4, 6.0, 4x4, 2.5 Leveling Kit, 305s, SCT Tuner, 260k, Built Trans with Triple Disc Billet Converter. - SOLD

1996 F250 SCLB 4x4, E40D, Powerstroke, DIY Intake, EBPV Delete, DP Tuner, 4 In Lift, 342k - SOLD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hmm.. I cleared my chip out.. still having the problem..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode