Aggravating/Persistant Problem. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Built not Bought

Aggravating/Persistant Problem.

Alright guys my problem started about 3 months ago, when I get in my truck the ignition will just click over and leave me with no crank, so I get out and cross the terminals on the Starter (solenoid) relay on the passenger fender well and the truck cranks over just fine.

Well after sitting all night the truck almost always will crank over with the ignition but after that I always have to cross the terminals to start it. Well I was told by members on here to replace the Starter Solenoid so I did. The problem went away for a little while then came back with a vengeance, all the same symptoms as before.

So I went and got another new solenoid and put it in the truck, started up without crossing the terminals two times. Now it's back to the same problem. Does anybody know where my problem is located? I have been told it could be a bad ground, but when I followed the ground wire off the solenoid I lose it when it goes into the wiring clusters in the center of the block.

Does anyone know where exactly this wire grounds out or starts it ground? Also do you think my problem is with the solenoid? Or could it be with the ignition cylinder? I had it replaced back in October/Novemeber,maybe it's the faulty part? Or am I totally off base and it's something else?

This problem has become a major aggravation because it keeps alluding me. I would appreciate any and all input on this issue, Thank you.

1996 7.3L Powerstroke
T6 Chip with Tony Wildman Tunes
Autometer Cobalt Gauges
3 inch DP, 5 inch Straight Pipe
S&B Intake
Billet Torque Converter, Triple Kevlar Clutches, Transgo Shift Kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Aggravating/Persistant Problem.

i cannot remember on the top of my head if obs diesel trucks have it or not but the gas trucks have a little accuator thing on top of the colum that when you turn key it engages it to activate the starter solenoid you have to drop the colum down a bit and there are 2 nuts holid it in place with a rod running down the center of it most gotta come up just a touch

Sold---2000 f-250 4x4 cclb 6 pos tuned by cale airdog 250, holding a stock tranny. afe cold air few other tricks under the hood always
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F-250 CCSB 4x4 ZF-6 deleted from day 3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Are you replacing the solenoid on the starter, or the relay on the fender? If it's the relay, there is no ground wire. It grounds by its mounting on the fender. If there's significant rust on the fender well, or if the mounting bolts are rusty, it won't complete the coil circuit.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 PM
PSN Local

Dumb question but are you changing the glow plug relay or the starter solenoid just because I had to ask someone on my truck what and where every thing was....

1997 F250 ccsb, e40d, 3.55, 2wd......first psd, gearhead tunes, isspro-boost, tranny, pyro, scan gauge 3" dp, 5" straight de, tymar, fpr shim, full energy suspension truck kit, 3.5 extra capacity tranny pan, super duty rear diff cover, 20" ion wheels....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Built not Bought

I'm replacing the relay on the fender well, the fender also has no rust and the base of the relay is brand new stainless steel, but I could change out the mounting bolts even though I don't believe they are rusty. Also roughneck I'll have to check out what you said about the ignition, because this problem started about 2 months or so after the ignition was replaced.

1996 7.3L Powerstroke
Autometer Cobalt Gauges
S&B Intake
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
PSN Veteran

When you say "click over", are you actually hearing a click from under the hood?

Automatic or manual tranny?

You could try testing the relay by bypassing the key switch and everything upstream. WARNING: BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the transmission is in NEUTRAL or PARK before attempting this. Belt-and-suspenders, if the truck is a 4x4 with manual lever, shift the transfer case into neutral. Then put a jumper wire between the battery positive cable and the one "small" terminal on the relay. This simulates turning the key. If the starter turns, then the problem is upstream - key switch, clutch or neutral switch (depending on the tranny), wiring, etc. If not, then the relay is suspect.

Sorry about the bold, etc. above, but just a coupla weeks ago, a fellow down in the next town was diagnosing his truck, had it in gear, accidently jumped the starter relay, the truck started moving from the starter, and he pinned himself into his garage wall and was killed. 'Course, you've already been jumpering your relay, so you obviously know, but anytime I write such a suggestion, I consider it an obligation to include stern safety precautions.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Built not Bought

I'm not getting a click from under the hood, it's just the ignition when it gets to the point where it should start to crank the truck it just clicks forward. Then I get out of the truck cross the terminals on the relay and my truck starts right up.

Edit: My truck has a built automatic transmission and is 4x4.

1996 7.3L Powerstroke
Autometer Cobalt Gauges
S&B Intake
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Another test, if you have an assistant - set up a voltmeter with the + probe on the small lug on the relay and the - probe on the negative battery terminal. Have an assistant turn the key to START. If you get 12-ish V on the meter, then the circuit up to that point (key switch, neutral switch, etc) is good, and the relay is the suspect. If no voltage, start looking upstream; as mentioned above, since the key switch was recently serviced it's a prime suspect.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Built not Bought

I'll have to get my hands on a voltmeter and run that test. At this point I'm thinking it's the key switch at this point. I just can't see three starter relays in a row being bad. Another thing is my new key switch has no accesory point in it so I wouldn't mind a new one at all if it is the key switch.

1996 7.3L Powerstroke
Autometer Cobalt Gauges
S&B Intake
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 AM
PSN Veteran

try that accuator on the colum i'll bet that is the problem the more and more i am thinking about it the psd trucks had them as well

Sold---2000 f-250 4x4 cclb 6 pos tuned by cale airdog 250, holding a stock tranny. afe cold air few other tricks under the hood always

2008 F-250 CCSB 4x4 ZF-6 deleted from day 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode