Truck won't turn off - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Truck won't turn off

I need help. I've installed a 6 position chip recently. It ran and continues to run fine, but I've started having issues.

1) the battery light comes on when the truck is revved over 1300 RPM and stays on until I come to a stop.

2) related to #1 - the battery gauge is pegged on 18, but not in the red.

3) started today - the truck will not turn off. I have to turn the chip to a blank position to turn it off. The ABS light stays on when the truck is off along with the e-brake light and the battery light.

As you can see I have a whole host of issues, but none that I know how to fix.

Please help,
Scott

'97 F250 CC SB - Dana 60 Swap, 4.10s, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe, ISSPRO Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans), Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Swamps IDM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Truck won't turn off

I don't know too much about this but pull your chip out and see if anything changes, also look over your wiring harness' for damage

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
OBS Addict

Sounds like a chip problem. Where did you get it? Ts tunes or custom?

Pull the chip and see what happens. All you can do. Check fuses too.

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
Valair Clutch, only the best.
TS 6 Position Tyrant Tuning
S&B, MBRP, Isspro, Mag-Hytec, 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, HPX
Full sound system: Kicker-Kenwood
BILLET BADGES
Dick Cepek DC-2's/Duratracs
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Chip is pulled. Installed new external voltage regulater which fixed the overcharging issue. Fuses are all good. Now that the chip is out the only way to shut off the truck is to pull the IDM fuse. When I reinstall the fuse, it arcs before it's fully inserted. This tells me that there is still power being fed to the IDM even after pulling the fuse.

To recap...when I park the truck I turn the key as though I'm turning it off, but the truck keeps running. The ABS light comes on and the battery light comes on. In the morning it works fine, but as the day progresses it seems to store power somehow and will not shutdown after running for a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

'97 F250 CC SB - Dana 60 Swap, 4.10s, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe, ISSPRO Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans), Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Swamps IDM
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Ignition switch?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
PSN Veteran

or possible shorted wiring

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 AM
PSN Local

I'm guessing ingition switch also. I has 2 ignition feeds out of that switch. When you turn it off one of those feeds is not disconnecting.
I know when my remote start is activated (which is only tied the 1st ignition feed) the abs light stays on in the dash, till I turn the key and power the other feed.

HTH
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Okay, we figured out the problem. It turns out that the positive lead from the battery to the glow plug relay had fried and melted to another wire that allowed power to be continuously fed to the IDM fuse and the PCM fuses.

The b!tch of it was that the glow plug relay was never shown in any wiring diagrams having a direct battery feed. So that threw us off.

The glow plug relay was completely fried and had actually "melted" one of the positive posts completely off the relay. I'll post pics later this weekend of the relay.

Needless to say, the truck turns off with the key as it should now. All is back to normal. I believe this whole issue was caused by my external voltage regulator going haywire. So keep an eye on that puppy, it can cause real issues.

Scott

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 AM
OBS Addict

That's wierd man. Neverheard of that happen. I've heard of the relays melting(mine has) but not melting different wires together. Glad ya got it fixed.

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
Valair Clutch, only the best.
TS 6 Position Tyrant Tuning
S&B, MBRP, Isspro, Mag-Hytec, 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, HPX
Full sound system: Kicker-Kenwood
BILLET BADGES
Dick Cepek DC-2's/Duratracs
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
PSN Veteran

glad to see you got it, I know these trucks run good, but you really should be able to shut it off once in a while

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode