Fuel leak? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to PSD 2004
Fuel leak?

Ok, i tried searching for a possible solution and came up with nothing.

The truck:
1997 f350 7.3 auto 4x4
251,xxx miles
Bone stock - as far as i can tell.

Heres the symptoms:

Oily leak (read: not engine oil, but an oily substance that i believe is fuel) on the passenger side of the motor. Its covered the passenger valve cover and the whole passenger side of the motor.

Truck runs fine, has oil pressure, doesn't run hot, and from what i can tell...no loss of power. Though, i've only had the truck for 2 weeks.

Also, i've only driven it about 50 to 60 miles and i've already burned half of the front tank which was filled up by the PO before I picked up the truck.

Sometimes it leaks alot, sometimes its only drips and its way to thin to be engine oil.

On a side note, i've only seen 14 psi peak boost. Don't know if this is related.

Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Fuel leak?

The fuel bowl drain is on that side, or maybe the return line for the passenger head(black hose with AN fittings) I know others with high miles have had this issue. Is there a lot of fuel in the valley? Could be the banjo washers, blue fuel lines or the fuel bowl drain o-rings or the fuel bowl itself(they get corrosion holes eaten through the bottom if no one every drains the water seperater.
14psi sounds right on for a stock obs.
My recommendation is to degrease and pressure wash the #### out of it top and bottom then let it dry, start it and watch for the leaks original location. Too many possibles and I only named the common ones

'97 4x4 ECLB: SD IC, TW 4 pos, afe, 3-4" w/areoturbine, 4 gauge, DIY stage 1s, GTP38R, cust E-fuel, E-brake, stage3 CM meth, 439hp still trying for 600. cust stereo, highamp alt, cust paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 F-150 RCLB: 460 swap, 3" lift, 33's,Trussed 9" w/ chrome-moly shafts, cust stereo, locked front/rear. My first love! EFI & Turbo coming soon...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to PSD 2004

Thanks for the quick response. At least it gives me an idea of where to start looking.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM
PSN Veteran

I have heard of degreasing and rinsing, but I thought power washing was bad on these trucks? probably any truck for that matter.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
OBS Addict

Another place fir fuel to leak is out of the peep hole on the fuel pump. When the pump internals go bad it starts seeping out of there. But you would have less boost and not have fuel but in the valley.

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
Valair Clutch, only the best.
TS 6 Position Tyrant Tuning
S&B, MBRP, Isspro, Mag-Hytec, 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, HPX
Full sound system: Kicker-Kenwood
BILLET BADGES
Dick Cepek DC-2's/Duratracs
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3psd97444 View Post
Another place fir fuel to leak is out of the peep hole on the fuel pump. When the pump internals go bad it starts seeping out of there. But you would have less boost and not have fuel but in the valley.
Weep hole and yes there are lots of other places I just gave him the usual suspects

'97 4x4 ECLB: SD IC, TW 4 pos, afe, 3-4" w/areoturbine, 4 gauge, DIY stage 1s, GTP38R, cust E-fuel, E-brake, stage3 CM meth, 439hp still trying for 600. cust stereo, highamp alt, cust paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 F-150 RCLB: 460 swap, 3" lift, 33's,Trussed 9" w/ chrome-moly shafts, cust stereo, locked front/rear. My first love! EFI & Turbo coming soon...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla68 View Post
I have heard of degreasing and rinsing, but I thought power washing was bad on these trucks? probably any truck for that matter.
We pressure wash engines all the time, only problem I've ever had is on older gas engines with distributor style ignition systems, they can get moisture in the cap and cause them to not start or run rough but you can easily dry them out. As long as you concentrate your efforts on the dirty metal engine and frame stuff and do your best to avoid close up high pressure spray to rubber lines, vacuum lines, and connectors you should be fine. Never caused any damage to anything and I've washed probably 1000+ ranging from gas, diesel, LP even high-breeds, as old as 1929 and as new as 2011.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM
OBS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDeesTruck View Post
Weep hole and yes there are lots of other places I just gave him the usual suspects
Ya I know I was just saying that's how my fuel leak went about. Lol

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
BILLET BADGES
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
PSN Veteran

So many possibility's.... so little time

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
OBS Addict

That's for sure.

PSD 2004, any new developments?

-Jordan-
97 SCLB 7.3 Handshaker
BILLET BADGES
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode