New (Old) PSD build - Drop thoughts and ideas here! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

New (Old) PSD build - Drop thoughts and ideas here!

Alright guys, as some of you may know, I picked up a parts truck a while back and was going to sell it until the missus decided she wanted a PSD too

Background on the truck is iffy I don't know much about the truck at all other than it was formerly a company truck that I imagine wasn't maintenanced as well and as often as it should've been. This may be a long post but bear with me!

For starters, the truck is a 1997 F-250 RCLB auto with 200K miles on it. I can't verify ANY repairs that were said to have been done but I can tell you what I know from my limited personal experience with the truck and what I've been told...

The truck most definately needs a new set of batteries, GPs/GPR, air/fuel filters, tranny flush, oil change... but for the sake of better suggestions lets assume all of the stated above are within a good enough state as to not critically hinder performance. Side note - we tore it down and it looks great internally... (Very good compression as well) New oil and filter was added and it was put back together with most of the original parts... (I'll replace little stuff later in the build.)

The transmission was said to be replaced @ 20k miles ago and does look newer. Supposedly there were six injectors replaced at some time not too long ago, but too long ago to remember an exact date lol . I found an empty can of ether under the seat don't get me started on ether... and the girl still retains what I believe is a factory cat/muffler.

Main issue at hand is the fact that the truck is a major turd. It idles beautifully without much if any haze at the exhaust. However, at WOT (in neutral) it revs fine until 2,000ish RPM when the rev becomes sluggish and hangs there for roughly 2-3 seconds before slowly crawling past the 2,500 RPM range smoothing back out at 2,800-limiter. During this hesitation is shudders and blows quite a bit of blue smoke.

Now I'm not asking you to diagnose the problem for me, as I know much of what I need to check first and how to do it. First impression is injector o-rings. Second is a UVHC or CPS issue. The UVHC looked good but I havent did any checks on them. There aren't any CELs and running all the tests provided positive results so its most likely not the issue, but nevertheless they will be checked further. And of course the IDM.
My impression while driving the truck is that it runs quite well aside from the stutter/hesitation at the aforementioned RPM range. I noted that its not nearly as noticeable while driving as it is while revving.

Anyway, The main reason for this post is to introduce you to my new project and to take ANY and ALL ideas, suggestions, and just general advice on the build. Although I'm ashamed to admit it, I'm still learning quite a bit about these OBS 7.3L even though this makes my fourth! So, if theres something from your experience that is worth noting - go right ahead! Likewise, If its a question for me, I may very well be able to help you! As for the engine issue, don't beat me up too bad - I will have more time to tinker this weekend.

Thanks in advance fellas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
Wait, listen...

I hear tie rods breaking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 PM
PSN Local

Re: New (Old) PSD build - Drop thoughts and ideas here!

If your concerned about it riding nice for your wifey, or you want to get rid of the crap front end the f250 has, consider a D-60 swap with superduty springs.

Rides like a dream, and will increase the longevity and reliability of the front end ten fold.

Talk to Cary T about the SD spring swap, he knows a ton about it and can get you everything you need.

1997 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed SOLD
2008 F-350 CCLB King Ranch- Spartan Tuned, Exhaust, Intake
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks! Its already on my list, unfortunately my budget for this build (seeing as its one of a few others) puts it more on the "want" side rather than the "need" side of the list But I agree with you 100% RSK is far superior to the junk TTB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Wait, listen...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

*YAWN*

I'm beginning to think no one likes me around here

Not that anyone cares (lol) but I got some paperwork on the truck this weekend and found out it had a new International engine dropped in it about 66k miles ago

Quote:
Wait, listen...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM
PSN Local

What are you planning on the build? sticks, electric fuel, tunes etc...... or just getting it back up to stock? sorry I can't help on the other issues, but free bump nonetheless
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Drinkin like a fish...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
I know nothing...

We don't really know where your coming from. You looking to get the most from freebies or do you plan to drop some coin?

Freeby/cheapy
CAI
Cat and muff get stolen
DP
Craigslist TS chip and custom tunes
IDM mod
Synthetic oil
FPR and Tightwad mods.

Doesn't roll with anyone or tag along to be cool...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well im about to send off my sticks for some rosewoods and i'm not looking to drop a ridiculous amount on it, but I want it to be a sharp, quick, and dependable (the ol ladys truck cant out run my commonrail!) I know that I'm going to replace the injectors (mainly because it needs them) throw an intake on it, and a free flowing exhaust. TS custom tunes and thats where it gets sketchy. I don't know if I want to go new turbo simply because I'm no good at picking the right one - I was unhappy with the last two setups on the commonrail and years ago totally ruined a good running OBS with a journal bearing POS... As for the other mods - I've never done any of the DIYs but I've worked on pretty much all of it at one point or another. The main goal is dependability so I basically just want to hear "well i did this, and..." or "i used this part and it caused..." Thats really all i'm askin from ya!

Quote:
Wait, listen...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode