1996 F250, slow starting even when warm - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1996 F250, slow starting even when warm

I have a 1996 f250 with 7.3 with about 120,000 miles on it and the drivetrain seems bone stock. I just got it about 2 months ago. From the start it was hard starting and i figured out i had five bad glow plugs, bad gpr and one wiring harness in the valve cover melted.

I replaced all that, but it is still slow to start. I used all motorcraft parts and it will start in the cold now, but you have to let it sit with the ignition on for at least 30-40 seconds or it will just turn and acts as if it has no fuel. It does this even if its 80 degrees out and its only off for a minute or two. However, if i let the switch stay on for about a minute or cycle a couple times for about 30 seconds, it fires right up, like within a second or two of the starter turning.

What could be the problem? I runs like a champ once its started.

1996 F250 XL 4x4, 4 inch lift, 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
PSN Local

Re: 1996 F250, slow starting even when warm

Have you changed Glow plug relay ?

95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Glow plugs must be doing SOMEthing, if a longer glow plug dwell time helps. It's sounding more like some of your glow plugs are not working, thus requiring more run time from the ones that are working. Time to ohm-test them.

Here's a "brute force" glow plug test. You can do this all under the hood. Pull the #22 maxifuse (keep nearby), turn the key to RUN, climb up under the hood. With the fuse out, the GP relay will NOT be on. Test the voltage at the "always hot" big terminal. Now push in the fuse and measure again. First time it should be 12.5-ish V (battery voltage) and second one will be considerably less (10.5-ish, due to GP load). Now, pull the fuse again, disconnect ONE of the UVCH's, and put the fuse in again, and measure the voltage. It should be a little more than before, but not the full 12.5-ish. Pull the fuse again, plug that UVCH back in, unplug the next UVCH, repeat. Note down all four voltages. If, for example, the standing voltage is 12.5, and the loaded voltage with all four UVCHs plugged in is 10.5, then each one disconnected should read ABOUT 11.0 V. And they should all be about the same. That is, each one is contributing 25% of the load. If you see one or two where the voltage is considerably higher than the others, then that's where you might have one or both glow plugs inop.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
PSN Newb

I think before going through and testing everything, check to see if your cables are tight on your batteries. Loose cables will result in what your describing. Just a thought.

1996 F250HD 4x4, 270,000 miles, E4OD, 6637 Intake, Downpipe, 4in. MBRP w/muffler, 1705 Superchips, EBPV exhaust brake, CCV Mod, more to come...

1995 Dodge Ram 1500, 450,000 miles, Original engine (never been touched), Second transmission (Stage 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), 6637 Intake, 4in. MBRP...after Flowmaster Series 40
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will try testing the things mentioned, it just seems as if it would be something other than glow plugs or the gpr. I already replaced all 8 glow plugs and the gpr with new motorcraft. And like i said, it does this even if the engine is hot and the outside tempurature above 80.

But I will check the things mentioned.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 AM
<-Friends bike

Are you due for an oil change ?

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special thanks to RacerX USA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM
PSN Veteran

slow cranking? new starter

1995 F350 CCLB DT360/Allison
1997 F350 RCLB 460/E40D
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd (51mpg work beater)
1995 F350 CCLB 2.5 tons/57s Front, 53s Rear
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well, the new GPR and Glow plugs tested good, and the battery cables were tight. The starter seems to turn fast, the engine just doesnt start right away. The oil was changed about 1500 miles ago.

It sounds as if its going to start, then it just keeps spinning. It will start if i just keep spinning the starter for about 25 seconds, instead of letting it sit with the ignition on, but it sounds very rough when i do that.

I know these older diesels dont start quite as easy as the newer ones, but i used to drive one of these everyday at work and never had this kind of trouble.

Anymore ideas?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
PSN Veteran

And the whole time you're cranking it, it turns the engine normal speed, it just takes more turns?

When you did the GP work, did you test the wiring / UVCHs? Brand new glow plugs and relay can't overcome a bad wire.

If it's not the GP system, maybe it's (as suggested above) an oil pressure issue. Is the oil low, or old/thin?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Didnt test all the internal wiring, but put a new valve cover gasket with new wires on the driver side, the passenger side looked great. There was power going to the plugs when we initially took them out, (except where the harness was melted). All the glow plugs connected to the good harness were bad, all but one were good that were connected to the melted harness. We replaced all the plugs anyway.

Before i replaced all the above items, the truck would not start at all if the outside temp was below about 60 unless i plugged in the block heater. Now that I have replaced everything, it will start when its cold, It is just very slow to catch unless I leave the ignition on for a while first, wether its hot or cold.

But anyway, shouldnt the glow plug system be more or less out of the loop when the outside temp is above 80 and the engine is already hot?

Is there anything that could be making fuel leak down out of the system when its off? Any other possibilities?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode