Turning circle - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Turning circle

Bit of a long story but will try to keep it short....Did a rookie move and bought my truck without driving it as it was a non runner and have nearly finished restoring it pumping a crap load of cash into it in the process. It goes and looks alright but the turning circle is horrendous,had I known this I would have thought twice about it! Anyway in the future I will do the D60 conversion with springs and etc but is there a fix to improve the IFS turning circle?

1997 F 250 (Not quite finished restoration)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Turning circle

its not a sports car, its a 3/4 ton truck. what are you expecting? at least you have the powerstroke. my 94 f250 gasser has a WAY worse turning radius than my psd.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
PSN Veteran

yep, it's horsechit, feels like I'm driving a bus

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Hang up having anything remotely decent turn radius wise

My wifes 2 wheel drive excursion will turn circles inside my 4x4 superduties turn radius. Its just part of having a 4x4 ford. Only 4wd that turns worth a flip are gm trucks. Their ifs rocks for turning tight corners.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Busted Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Hang up having anything remotely decent turn radius wise

My wifes 2 wheel drive excursion will turn circles inside my 4x4 superduties turn radius. Its just part of having a 4x4 ford. Only 4wd that turns worth a flip are gm trucks. Their ifs rocks for turning tight corners.
The 05 550 I drive at work turns pretty darn well imo. Don't the 450/550 trucks have some things that are a little different going on up front though?

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
PSN Local

i work at a chevy dealer and my fords turn way better than any chevy ive ever driven

anybody want a cheap dana 60 front
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnut View Post
i work at a chevy dealer and my fords turn way better than any chevy ive ever driven
thats what I was thinking, my dodge 1/2 4x4 turns way better than a comparable chevy I had

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Dumb question, but, which size truck? You wouldn't think a few inches of wheelbase would make a big diff in the turning radius, but man, turning into a parking space or what-not in the ECLB feels totally different from the RCLB. Rolling down the highway or turning a road corner you hardly know it, and kinda forget. Then you pull in to park at Farm & Fleet, and....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedge8 View Post
thats what I was thinking, my dodge 1/2 4x4 turns way better than a comparable chevy I had
That front wheel drive car front end chevy uses turns on a dime

This is comparing late 90's model of the gm trucks.

But a cv joint can always turn sharper than a ujoint front end. My old gmc and my friends z71 both turn killer compared to my dodge or my ford.

The dodge turns better than the ford.

Course a good bit of that will always be how the stops are set aka the max its been set to be allowed to turn. But most ifs are set to allow more turn. You could set a solid axle to turn that far but its not safe to do so.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM
PSN Local

The soluton is to do the D60 swap, but use an coil sprung axle from a 05+.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode