96 7.3 ps motors stuck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

96 7.3 ps motors stuck

Truck has been sitting for 3 years has 270,000 miles on it. checked oil water etc. everything lights up starter won't turn motor over just slips. it's a 5 spd so next thing is to pull start it see if that will break it free. anyone have other ideas? was old service truck that i parked and was going to sell or part out. 3/4 ton 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:33 AM
OBS Addict

Re: 96 7.3 ps motors stuck

Throw another diesel and a set of jumpers to each battery on it, let it charge for 15-20 mins, give it a shot of starting fluid (small shot) and cycle the glow plugs a few times. I dealt with this on my E99 when I got it, took me a day or so to get it started.

Weeeee.......................
*flop*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instant Pirate - Just Add Rum!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks I can't get back to it in a truck yet all this rain we've had but i can take the gen back and let it charge longer.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:02 AM
PSN Veteran

Have you tried a socket and a bigeffin' bar on the crankshaft bolt?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:05 AM
OBS Addict

Off topic, but any more pics of your truck in your disp pic? that thing looks like a beast!

Weeeee.......................
*flop*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instant Pirate - Just Add Rum!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

There is a few in members gallery. Thanks bought not built, but i'm lowering it back to stock. That seems to be harder that lifting it from what i have come to find out. Had 30,000 something miles and got a goooood deal on it. Sat on lot for year and a half.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
PSN Veteran

pull the glow plugs then try to turn it over, if you have a cyl with fluid in it you will wreck the motor pulling it down the road. btw breaker bar is how I found Ouch's motor was hydrolocked

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
PSN Veteran

I would not spray starter fluid then cycle the glow plugs as noted above....if you decide to use starter fluid have the starter turning engine then apply at same time. What do you mean the starter slips?

Think it's a 22mm socket and breaker bar on the crank to manually roll it over as noted above...first.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Black Stroker

I would take the glow plugs out and try to turn it over with the starter. That will blow all the crap out of there.

Matts tunes
Exhaust
K&N
Nozzles
A1000 fuel system
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
PSN nerd

with the "starter slipping" makes me sound like it is not engaging. if the starter is not engaging I bet there is some rust on the end of the shaft not letting the gear get to the end or like something that has sat around here in the summer probably has a dirt dobber nest in it.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode