Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

96 7.3 ps motors stuck

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  cfdeng7 
#1 ·
Truck has been sitting for 3 years has 270,000 miles on it. checked oil water etc. everything lights up starter won't turn motor over just slips. it's a 5 spd so next thing is to pull start it see if that will break it free. anyone have other ideas? was old service truck that i parked and was going to sell or part out. 3/4 ton 4x4.

#2 ·
Throw another diesel and a set of jumpers to each battery on it, let it charge for 15-20 mins, give it a shot of starting fluid (small shot) and cycle the glow plugs a few times. I dealt with this on my E99 when I got it, took me a day or so to get it started.

#6 ·
There is a few in members gallery. Thanks bought not built, but i'm lowering it back to stock. That seems to be harder that lifting it from what i have come to find out. Had 30,000 something miles and got a goooood deal on it. Sat on lot for year and a half.

#7 ·
pull the glow plugs then try to turn it over, if you have a cyl with fluid in it you will wreck the motor pulling it down the road. btw breaker bar is how I found Ouch's motor was hydrolocked

#8 ·
I would not spray starter fluid then cycle the glow plugs as noted above....if you decide to use starter fluid have the starter turning engine then apply at same time. What do you mean the starter slips?

Think it's a 22mm socket and breaker bar on the crank to manually roll it over as noted above...first.

#10 ·
with the "starter slipping" makes me sound like it is not engaging. if the starter is not engaging I bet there is some rust on the end of the shaft not letting the gear get to the end or like something that has sat around here in the summer probably has a dirt dobber nest in it.

#11 ·
Turn motor over by hand, its a 24 mm or 15/16".

If it turns over.... then you can do all of the above minus starting fluid and glow plugs.

#13 ·
I would pull the glowplugs and spray ur choice of penetrating oil in the cylinders and let it sit then try and break it free by hand with a bar on the crank as said before. Starting fluid and glowplugs is a big no no. If it still doesn't want to turn over just spray the cylinders some more and let it soak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.