Dumb 7.3 questions! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Dumb 7.3 questions!

Alright might as well have a thread for it, because i ask a lot of these types of questions!!

So if you just cant remember something off the top of your head and need a quick answer ask it here...

Tq specs, part questions, fluid questions, amounts etc etc...

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Dumb 7.3 questions!

I will start off...

is there a gasket or anything on the front cover? I am changing mine tonight and need to know real quick

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 AM
PSN Local

The sealing surface is shared with the oil pan. If its never been off the rtv on there is insane!! Very tacky. If I remember right it was just a bead of sealant. I can go look real quick. Just tore apart my project engine.

2002 F-250 Lariat
Im Dan,my tranny hates me no more!!"
AFE Stage 2
Power Hungry Perfomance Custom 6 Pos chip
Suncoast tranny
Isspro Boost,Tranny and EGT
H2E
Air Dog 150
Adrenaline HPOP
6.0L Tranny Cooler
FS-2500
Fluidampr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALADASH View Post
The sealing surface is shared with the oil pan. If its never been off the rtv on there is insane!! Very tacky. If I remember right it was just a bead of sealant. I can go look real quick. Just tore apart my project engine.
Okay i have 2 front covers laying around on top of the blocks, and then my motor still has the front cover on it.

Problem is the engine ill be running for the next couple months has a SD front cover on it, so i have to swap it. I got most all of the other o-rings and gaskets ill need though!

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ive got another one just because....

Would you recommend pulling the giant rail plug on the back of the head and replacing all of that even if it doesnt look like its been leaking? Seems like itd be worth the $7 to do it, but not if the original seal is never going to be match (like the headgasket)

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 AM
PSN Local

Just looked at my SD front cover and it has a groove for an o ring. Bottom gets rtv. My philosophy: if it ain't broke don't fix it or reinvent the wheel. But I am in no way an expert or pro.

2002 F-250 Lariat
Im Dan,my tranny hates me no more!!"
AFE Stage 2
Power Hungry Perfomance Custom 6 Pos chip
Suncoast tranny
Isspro Boost,Tranny and EGT
H2E
Air Dog 150
Adrenaline HPOP
6.0L Tranny Cooler
FS-2500
Fluidampr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeorcroak View Post
Ive got another one just because....

Would you recommend pulling the giant rail plug on the back of the head and replacing all of that even if it doesnt look like its been leaking? Seems like itd be worth the $7 to do it, but not if the original seal is never going to be match (like the headgasket)
I had thought you couldn't just buy the o-ring but had to buy the plug too? Albeit that was a while ago now....at the time i did mine on the truck they were Waay more then $7.00.....if inexpensive I'd do the fronts too, but that's just me....

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Yeah its $7 for plug and o-ring, and yes you can get JUST the o-ring also!

1996 with 35s
615hp/1258tq on 9/19
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
PSN Local

i think i'd leave the plug alone, once you break the seal to replace the o-ring it may not seal up for you. leave well enough alone

95 F-250 plow/work truck, Meyer 7.5 ft plow, lift gate, cat delete, straight pipe, fact. no A/C, CCV Mod, Tymar intake, Diesel Site trans filter, SD tensioner
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeorcroak View Post
Yeah its $7 for plug and o-ring, and yes you can get JUST the o-ring also!
Wow...for that price I'd do all four!!. Changed out both on my 96 (as they leaked at different times) and have never leaked since....

Drivers side rear is a PAI if done in situ and the fronts would be a significant pain too because of the accessories iirc (if in truck)

FoMoCo may have done an upgrade too for later build dates...not sure on that...nice to see an adjusted price iirc I paid the better part of $80.00 per back in the day...are you putting bigger, newer HPOP on?

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode