OBS front springs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Simple is best

OBS front springs

I posted in the suspension area too, but the post isn't showing in "today's posts", so thought I might have been better off posting here. Sorry for the double post.

Anyway, needing a little input on doing front springs on my OBS. Not going to lift... just not practical for me and what truck is used for. It's my work rig, so down time is a factor. With that said, my question is about whether I would be best served having my current springs re-arched, or replace them. Bushings are crap and need replaced as well. I believe some outfits ship springs with new bushings installed. Any recommendations are welcome.

Oh, and in case its important, the rig again is my work rig and tows respectable loads almost daily. Lots of tight turns backing heavy trailers into tight spots, etc. Also use it on weekends to take the dirt bikes out, etc. It isn't a looks only rig I guess is my point. She gets used the way it was designed to be used.

Thanks.

97 HD Supercab LB 4x4. E4OD w/"mini shift kit" & Schaeffers synthetic, Tru Cool cooler, 4:10's, 33's on Weld Typhoon wheels, Gauges, Swamps stage 1's, Swamps IDM, TS 6 pos chip with Swamps tunes, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 4" exhaust (had to keep cat). Weather Guard toolbox, GPS, Billet grill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: OBS front springs

If you dont want any lift. I would get new springs. Ive had springs rearched and they dont last. You will want to replace the bushing on the top of the front shackle. It will probly be dead too.

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Simple is best

Thanks for the input. I was concerned about re-arches lasting. I'll get new ones and all the bushings. Any recommendations as to where to get them?

97 HD Supercab LB 4x4. E4OD w/"mini shift kit" & Schaeffers synthetic, Tru Cool cooler, 4:10's, 33's on Weld Typhoon wheels, Gauges, Swamps stage 1's, Swamps IDM, TS 6 pos chip with Swamps tunes, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 4" exhaust (had to keep cat). Weather Guard toolbox, GPS, Billet grill.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 AM
STILL LEARNING

Look in your local area for a spring shop.

or you can try here http://stengelbros.com/
or Ford

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 AM
PSN Local

Try Jeff's bronco graveyard for new springs.

1997 F-350 4x4 CCLB, Rosewood Stage 1's, MBRP 4" exhaust, S&B intake, gauges, 4" lift, 35x12.50 bfg KM2s Sold!!
2006 F-250 ECLB 4x2 6.0 6 speed, tuned, EGR delete, Diesel Site coolant filter, 4" MBRP
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Just something about rearched springs. I had mine done 9 years ago and then a single spring add a leaf put in and to this day the distance between the spring and bump stop is the same as it was when I put them in.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Just something about rearched springs. I had mine done 9 years ago and then a single spring add a leaf put in and to this day the distance between the spring and bump stop is the same as it was when I put them in.
You have a oddity then. Because ANY spring will settle over time, especially over 9 years

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Simple is best

Yeah that does seem odd that they wouldn't sag. I found a couple spring shops here in town I am going to call Tomorrow. Any other bushings I ought to be doing at same time to correct the terrible tire wear?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 PM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan68 View Post
Yeah that does seem odd that they wouldn't sag. I found a couple spring shops here in town I am going to call Tomorrow. Any other bushings I ought to be doing at same time to correct the terrible tire wear?
Your axle pivot bushings and check your ball joints

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
Your axle pivot bushings and check your ball joints
, The axle pivot bushing is a big thing, total crap shoot if you ask me. In fact, that was what was the deciding factor for me to go to a D60, was the fact that I had it aligned 3 times, and it was still wrecking a 450$ tire on the front passenger side. Seemed like a no brainer to buy the D60 setup for 800bucks and not wreck my tires.

96 XLT ECLB. 6.0 intercooler. 4" aero turbine, gearhead tunes. Coolant filter & CCV mod. SD Dana 60 3.73 3.5 RSK V-codes, 35 inch toyos, 18inch M/T classic locks. 260000Km

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode