OBS Clutch inspection cover ISSUE!!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Inmate #1

OBS Clutch inspection cover ISSUE!!!!

Well I finally re-upped my supportership so I can post pics. I've had an oil leak on Rockee for quite a while and it has progressively gotten worse. It was coming from in between the tranny and motor. Valley was dry, turbo was dry, oil rail plugs.....dry. So today I was going to pull the tranny and find said leak. I pulled the inspection cover just to see if I could see anything. Well I saw what looked like someone had taken a cutoff wheel and put a 2 1/2" slice in my oil pan. Was confused till I looked at the cover, and it all came together. For as long as I can remember the upper mount bolts for the cover had been broken off. But it held on fine with the two lower bolts, so I never thought about it. Well, I promise you I'm thinking about it now. That cover vibrated a slit in my oil pan with the rolled edge that meets the crank. SO, guys, check your cover, if the upper bolts are broken out of the cover, at the very minimum, put big washer on the bolts to hold the cover. Or do like I did, and get the little pieces that are still behind the bolts and weld them back on, and weld the cracks. Anyway, here's a pic. Just a little FYI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Pan.jpg (82.2 KB, 134 views)

RubberDuck

1995 F350 4x4 CC Dually-Rockee

1995 F350 4x4 Reg Cab Dually-3.0 Puller-Bobbie's Kitchen Pass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: OBS Clutch inspection cover ISSUE!!!!

Wow....Duck...thanks for the heads up I'll be checkin that for sure as I think on one of my trucks the upper is broken on one side iirc...

thanks again,

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 PM
PSN Veteran

IIRC, there's a TSB for this; the replacement cover is shaped so as not to saw at the pan. I'm thinkin', as a precaution before getting the replacement cover, a little slip of slit-open and flattened bicycle innertube rubber slipped in between the two wouldn't be a bad idea.

I also recall some fellas being able to JB Weld the pan, to avoid the surgery.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
PSN Veteran

I had that happen (although not quite as bad) on my 94. I used JB Weld putty and three coats of POR-15 over that to seal it (after cleaning everything with brake cleaner). I ground off the front lip of the inspection cover and ended up with the updated cover later when the mounting tabs failed on the old one. They want a pretty penney for the new cover (F5TZ-7007-AD, List $81.65, $53.89 at Tousley)! Here's a link to the TSB: "TSB 94-14-12". Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Anybody know where the part number is stamped on this part? I just went out and looked at both trucks, and it looks like one has the new part and one has the original. The one on the RCLB def. doesn't have a forward-facing lip, and doesn't come close to the oil pan, so I'm guessing it's the replacement. I assume that's the change with the new part.

But the one on the ECLB def. does have that lip, extending forward toward the oil pan. Given how spendy the new part is, I have an idea -- remove the cover, and just snip off the forward-facing lip. Or grind it off. Whichever is easier. Anybody try that, or anybody think it'll work?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 AM
PSN Veteran

I ground off the front lip on my old one and it was fine. It just ended up cracking elsewhere for some reason (nothing related to grinding off the lip) which is why I got the updated one. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 AM
airman

I need to check my oil pan out. My cover is off and needs replaced. Bump for anyone that's missed this.

Daryl Abbott
97 F350
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

Wow Rubberduck.
I WILL BE CHECKING MINE FOR SURE.

Centxdiesel

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Let'er Buck!

Same thing happened to me on my 94.5. My buddy who is the diesel tech at the local ford dealership told me bout the TSB. But he said I did the right thing by grinding down that edge that saws into the pan.

I got truck stuff...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
STILL LEARNING

####! When i had my trans out last week i noticed my little tab was broke off. I thought nothing of it and threw it in the trash Now mine only has 2 bolts holding it on

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode