low oil pressure on 96 psd - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

low oil pressure on 96 psd

newbie here. i have been concerned about my erratic stock oil gauge and put a cheapie mech one in yesterday now i know i have about 13 psi at an idle and it goes down to about 10 when i rev it up. also noticed it has bubbly oil on the stick. its got 305 k on it. motors never been out. any advice? hoping its not too serious? unemployed at this time and its my only set of wheels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: low oil pressure on 96 psd

Is that the pressure warm or cold? Does it rise at all with RPMs? It almost sounds like you are drawing air into the oil pump pickup, or have a bad low pressure oil pump. Mine has just under 290k miles, and it idles at 50 psi cold, 20 psi hot. Freeway speeds are 90 psi cold, 50 psi hot.

95 F350 CC DRW, ISSPRO Performax gauges, Diamond Eye 3x4" DP & 5" exh, MBRP tip, Baby Swamps & tunes, Trans VB mods, Dunrite TC, Lock-Right, Cal-Tracs
99 Silverado race truck
96 F250 RCLB, bone stock
00 Jetta TDI, Kerma Tunes, Der Chimera Stg 3 clutch
73 & 74 Vega race cars, 92 GMC Typhoon, 73 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 73 Trans-Am 455
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

that pressure was warm. when its cold the stock gauge drops to zero usually a few times after i first start driving it. just for a few seconds, and it seems that if i let up on the throttle it jumps right back in the normal range. i overfilled the oil about 3 quarts the other day at the recomendation of charles [dieselmanns website] and lifted the rear of the truck about 2 feet off the ground, the theory is that the oil pickup tube will be completely submerged and any cracks wont be able to suck air. but my cheap eqqus oill gauge still read zilch! i even took the capillary tube off the back of the gauge and fired up the trk. oil just leaked out with no pressure. but when i took the brass fiiting for the capillary tube off the fitting in the top of the hpop resivor, it gushed oil like the clampets oil well! even hit the underside of the hood! so idk if i have a cracked pickup tube or a bad oil pump?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Almost sounds like you over tightened the fitting a crimped the line. Get a new Farrell and just snug it down

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

maybe? i stuck a small allen wrench inside the tube to check that. and it went past the ferrule no problem. plus i used my friends snap-on oil pressure gauge at his shop and it read low too. but not when the truck was lifted in the back. i just want to be sure its the oil pickup tube b4 i pull the motor!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Loves OBS Trucks

If you lifted the rear of the truck, and then started it, showed good oil pressure, I say it's a cracked pickup tube sucking in air.

1997 F350 CCLB 4x4
1999 28' Classic Dominator
1996 Mustang GT with a Blown 351 with Stalled C4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i ordered a new melling pump today. gonna change it first and see if it brings my pressure up? or see how bad the old ones worn. talked to the parts guy at ford and randy wolf at wolf performance today and they both said the oil pickup tube breaking is pretty rare. in fact parts guy told me ford has discontinued selling the tube.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 AM
PSN Veteran

if these guys say its the pickup then its a high possibility it is. and i would argue broken pickups. seems like you see it quite a bit on here. on another note, when you pull the pump off, check the front cover for wear. and another note you have to lift the motor to pull the pan to do a pickup tube. cheers

1995 F350 CCLB DT360/Allison
1997 F350 RCLB 460/E40D
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd (51mpg work beater)
1995 F350 CCLB 2.5 tons/57s Front, 53s Rear
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Hood Rich

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL

Also be checking the front cover for a little thingy called a de-airetion valve... its been known to unscrew itself, lowering oil pressure day by day, causing oil to foam... eventually it will workits way out and then you will have a no start..... Your motor may have this valve pending serial number

NWI Coal Rollers Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Local 444- Rolling Coal Teamsters
via Beans Toonz
DI SS Up-Pipe
GTP38R
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 AM
PSN Veteran

i would really like to see pics of where that valve is. i looked online and cant find nothing. i dont have my front cover here... sold it so i cant scope. sorry for the hijack

1995 F350 CCLB DT360/Allison
1997 F350 RCLB 460/E40D
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd (51mpg work beater)
1995 F350 CCLB 2.5 tons/57s Front, 53s Rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode