Trackbar - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P

Trackbar

Well I finally got a chance to install new bushings on my trackbar. And let me first start out by saying, If you pull your trackbar, and see that the current metal sheath is rusted so it appears that its actually connected, and you don't have a press!? SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME, BEER AND ENERGY, by going to napa or wherever and have them push out the old bushings, and install new ones! Now that, that is out of the way. I would have more pics but I didn't even think at first about the camera. But taking the trackbar out couldn't even be more simplified in 1 of those For Dummies books. And if it does confuse you, have someone who knows more help or have it done at a good shop.

First the tools (if yours, like mine was rusted all the way through. Damn road salt )

found this worked particularly well as it fits perfect
And a nice refreshing beverage, of your choice

Comparison. Old and New

This is what i had to work with since after removal i pulled the rubber out with my fingers

Now I know its not pretty or probably even the correct way, but I am very stubborn, and pissed after smashing my thumb several times with that 3lb sledge

Now for a nice cool beverage as the barn was hot

Yes it was overkill but i couldn't find my bottle opener since....well I had a lot more than the pictures show(Beer, Liquor, and more Beer)
After a little persuasion, I finally got my pipe all the way in. (pun intend)

After a little cleaning up the edges, it didn't look as bad

After that I tried to get the new bushing in, but it wouldn't budge. So i did go to napa the next morning. It took 20 min 1 for the time spent there. The rest driving.
And the finished product

And what a difference it made in driving, still have to do a little tweaking but I was surprised at how much play it actually took out of the steering wheel. Went from about 4" of play to 1/2" of play. Just thought i would share. And i hope this helps buy showing you guys how much new bushings can help.

1997 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 4x4, 135,400 miles, 4 1/2" up front 2" out back, 35" Kuhmo M/T's, 3" dp, 4" with no cat, K&N, Triple Auto Meter Gauges, IDM Mod, rebuilt E4OD, Beans Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Re: Trackbar

Any reason you went with rubber over poly?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
STILL LEARNING

Who's track bar drop bracket is that?

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P

Im not positive since I bought it 4 years ago this weekend. The kid I bought the truck from had said he picked up a 4 1/2" lift for the front and 2" in the rear and had installed it a few weeks before I bought it from him, and superlift just keeps sticking out, I know he told me but its been a while. Just let me know if you want a couple better pics of the front setup.
Great part was he never even put 8000miles on it because he picked up a clean low mile southern truck really cheap from a family member and said he decided to sell this truck because a 1500 was enough to tow for as little as he did and would rather have the extra cash. Other than that the truck was stock except for a trans rebuild by the original owner who was a good friend of his dads.

PsRumors, I went with the rubber because thats what the parts store had on hand, and I could see the one bushing was bad but I never realized that a chunk that big was missing. But I knew They needed replaced bad since a couple weeks ago I couldn't move the bar with my hand and after doing a little more reading on here I checked again and I could twist it till metal was touching to stop the rotation. Also i didn't want to go with polly because once I have the money I'm gonna get an rsk from Cary, and hopefully find some SD axles along with it.

1997 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 4x4, 135,400 miles, 4 1/2" up front 2" out back, 35" Kuhmo M/T's, 3" dp, 4" with no cat, K&N, Triple Auto Meter Gauges, IDM Mod, rebuilt E4OD, Beans Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode