Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tranny Fluid

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  woodking 
#1 ·
Trying to see what I should do I broke the 100K mark and I'm going to change all my fluids this weekend. The question is do I drain my tranny or not. I've always heard not to but the reasons I've gotten have never made much since. So has anyone changed their transmission fluid and never had a problem. The trk is a 2012 6.7

#3 ·
change it

the fear comes from backflushing, people will take vehicles into a shop to have the transmission and coolers flushed. On high mile transmissions SOMETIMES this backflushing process can dislodge sludge or material buildups that are in the transmission valve body and the result is clogged passages = trans problems.
This is not an issue with just pan drop/fluid changes you atre not using pressure to flush fluid through the transmission, you are simply changing out the fluid in the pan
Regular fluid and filter service is cheap insurance to keep your auto trans working longer.

Drain that sucker! Keep in mind you are only going to be able to drain the pan and possibly the converter, I am not afraid to drain and fill an auto trans 3-4 times in a summer in an attempt to exchange most of the fluid. After the first service and the last I also change the filter (about ever 50-75K miles on my auto trans).

#4 ·
I know on the older ones there is a drain plug on the tc not sure on the newer trucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.