Difference in HID'S - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Difference in HID'S

What is the difference in HID setups? I notice that there are 35watt and 55watt HID kits. Also I want to have a white HID kind of like the color you see in stock mercedes HID lights...what should I get cause I know the 8000k has somewhat of a blueish tint to it.

02 7.3l ,4' turbo back exhaust,intake,aih delete,05 front end conversion,PHP FU chip w/stock,whisper,80DD,100HP,75HP fuel sipper,smoke show,ITP hx line,wicked wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak
Re: Difference in HID'S

4300 if you want white. and 55 is brighter than 35

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
ARMY bound

8000k is for ricers...4300k is perfect. It's bright and easy on the eyes.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
4300 if you want white. and 55 is brighter than 35

2008 F-250 FX4 cc,4x4

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 PM
PSN Mega Miler

We need to get some semi controlled pics of different kits in action from our trucks sometime to show the color differences and all. I doubt we can come up with a way to really show brightness differences since everyones camera will be different and surroundings and all but a color chart like that would rock and help people decide what they want.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

See what I can add. I put this together to help new HID users see where the majority lies when it comes to picking a color of HID bulb. Purely for fun.

Some background first - "HID light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature of daylight is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogens. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb.Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual color output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output they produce."

^ (paraphrased from tbyrnmotorsports)

------------------------------ Approximate
Light Source ----- K Temp --- Lumens (output)
Halogen bulb ----- 3200k --------- 1500-2000
Sunlight ----------- 4700k
D2S bulb ---------- 4100k --------- 3200
D2S bulb ---------- 6000k --------- 2800
--------------------- 8000k HID ---- 2500
-------------------- 10000k HID ---- 2200
-------------------- 12000k HID ---- 2100

^ (D2S bulbs above rated off of a Phillips and Phillips Ultinon bulb, respectively)

I would like to reiterate as I have said a few times before in forum, that every HID system with projectors (not reflectors) will have a color shift in appearance (visible as you approach an oncoming vehicle or as seen by illuminating your headlights on a white wall) there is that line of blue/purple (and other colors, however minimal) that is generated as the light source bends around the cutoff in your projector headlamp. Now, the whiter the light, the more definition of a blue/purple cutoff you will have. So, if you have 4300k HIDs installed, that cutoff that you and everyone will see, will have a significant amount of blue/purple and a little gold, (pink perhaps too) at the horizon... very defined and eyecatching.

As you go up the kelvin scale, the less variation in color you will see. If you are in blue territory, you will maybe see a dark blue cutoff, but nothing else. Purple HIDs get the same, all purple and no variation. Although from what I researched, the typical OEM D2S bulbs are 4100k.

Some examples:

I personally think this 6000K HID is throwing too much light into the oncoming lane. Adjustment is a very important detail with these. The pattern needs to be considered.

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wow great write up..Thanks. I think I might go with the 5000k as from those pics they look to me like they are the most white. You guys know of any good retailers or should I just look for an e-bay special?

02 7.3l ,4' turbo back exhaust,intake,aih delete,05 front end conversion,PHP FU chip w/stock,whisper,80DD,100HP,75HP fuel sipper,smoke show,ITP hx line,wicked wheel
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Proud Sponsor

retro-soultions.com they are a site sponsor. The 4300k will be the brightest and purest white with a very slight tint of blue at operating temperatures.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
ARMY bound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode